Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to begonias, any tips?

Posted by flower.baby none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 18:46

I just ordered a begonia "wightii" polka dot / clown begonia.

I *think* it is a cane begonia.

I usually grow horas and orchid cactus as houseplants, so I don't jar any experience with begonias.

Questions:

I ordered a small 3 inch plant, and I would like a nice big one. How fast do they grow? Would miracle grow help, or is their a different fertilizer I should use?

How much light & water does it require?

How do I take cuttings from this plant and what's the best way to root cuttings?

Any other begonia tips would be appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to begonias, any tips?

Yes, it is a cane begonia which can reach two feet in height. At Three inches I wouldn't be in a hurry to use a lot of fertilizer, you might choose one which has a larger first number, which is nitrogen, good for growth, and dilute further the recommendation on the label of the product. But for such a small plant the first thing is to put it in a place with good light because that is important for all canes and try not to overwater such a small plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here