Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raylynn2

Where to get begonias?

raylynn2
10 years ago

I love Angel wing and rex begonias but can't seen to find many online. Does anyone now where I can buy some cool ones for a decent price :) I would like to keep prices low so I can afford several differant ones lol a place that sells clippings would be ideal. I keep checking eBay for maybe a listing with numerous cuttings but can't seem to find one. Thank you in advance

Comments (9)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Check local stores to begin with - your local nurseries and that includes big box stores. Your best value will be local choices - bigger plants, lower prices, and you can see if it is worth it. Mail order means smaller plants, higher prices, and you might be buying a pig in a poke instead of the typical beautiful mature plant on display.

eBay is good too. I typically pass any plants that are up for bid but some folks love the thrill of a bidding war.

Steve's Leaves and Taylor Greenhouses are very good mail order places. Kartuz, Logee's, and the Violet Barn are pretty good too (the Violet Barn sends very tiny plants so you must baby those). Lauray of Salisbury has things you won't find elsewhere but no pictures on that site. I'm sure there will be other folks that will chime in as well.

• raylynn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you :)I go plant shopping locally all the time but my local stores never have begonias :(

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

That's a shame. I've got a couple of local nurseries that always have something but not always new. HD, Lowe's, Walmart are sporadic but I've picked up some beauties there as well over the years. Whenever you travel check out nurseries along the way or at the destination as well. You never know what you will find. Many, many years ago even Target had a small garden section and lo and behold I bought 3 beautiful hanging baskets of rhizomatous begonias there (kind of got me started). Ace Hardware would get shipments in from time to time so it behooved me to check every two weeks during spring and summer. It closed a few years ago because a HD built a new store close by. I guess their prices were not competitive enough to stay in business.

Here is one I got a few years ago at HD as an example.

• raylynn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow I love it :) we have a lowes and I go all the time but they always have the same stuff :( me and my husband always laugh because we say we own everything in here already lol once in a while they will have something new but only one time about a yr ago I got a little noid Angel wing but it looked awful and I could not revive it.

• raylynn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow I love it :) we have a lowes and I go all the time but they always have the same stuff :( me and my husband always laugh because we say we own everything in here already lol once in a while they will have something new but only one time about a yr ago I got a little noid Angel wing but it looked awful and I could not revive it.

• mocropot
    10 years ago

Raylynn2 email me and may be we can work something out and I can get you started on begonia

Helen

• raylynn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Email sent :) thanks

• raylynn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Email sent :) thanks

• raylynn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago