Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Angel Wing Begonia

Posted by janice_51031 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 20:25

My AW begonia suddenly will drop a healthy leaf. Sometimes I'll find a 1" segment of stem lying on the floor in the morning. Both of these things happen mostly at night. Looks like such a clean cut as if a knife was taken to it? Any ideas what could be going on? I see no signs of bugs. Thanks. Janice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Angel Wing Begonia

Could be stress from over or under watering. Has temps or humidity changed recently (A/C)? Usually a few leaves dropping is normal but if you have a bunch then something has changed recently.

My canes usually drop most if not all leaves with the move from outdoors to indoors for winter. Most come through the winter but it is a lot of stress on the plants.

o

I wondered if the a/c could be bothering it. It was about a foot & a half from the vent. I moved it outside on the patio a few days ago. Sometimes the bottom of the leaves get real dry .. kind of like leaves in the fall. Thanks for the help. Janice

o

I have three angel wing plants, mama and two babies just recently they have dropped several leaves. I don't know why...help appreciated.

o

Canes do that like lots of other plants. Usually a change in seasons or environment will cause it. The one thing you want to rule out is rot. If the stems are rigid and plump then don't worry about it. Sometimes they just need to be rejuvenated. My oldest cane looks very similar to yours and I've had it almost 40 years. I should take my own advice and rejuvenate my canes every 3 years or less.

o

How does one rejuvenate their canes?

Thanks!
Carol in Jacksonville

o

Cut them back hard. Take the tops and start them in another pot or the same pot.

o

Thank you very much! I'll do it.

Carol

o

"Rejuvinated" quite a few cane begonias today. Another question popped into my head while I was working. How many nodes should you get beneath the soil? Obviously at least one is required. Are two or three nodes even better? Better chance for rooting?

Thanks!
Carol

o

Two is good. Any more and you would need a much deeper pot.

Check Brad's Begonia Pages on propagation.

Brad's World

o

What a great link! I appreciate your taking time to post it. Thank you!

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here