Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sailorbarsoom

Can begonias be shaped?

sailorbarsoom
15 years ago

I just bought my first begonia! I believe it's a Begonia corallina. It has one stem that sticks straight up, and a few that are more segmented, and stick out horizontally to hang over the sides. It has an odd shape, and I'm wondering if there's something I can do to shape it up. Maybe tie the segmented stems to a stake to make them more upright?

In any case, it's a lovely plant, and I brought home three other plants today, so it's a good day for me. I hope your day was as plantful as mine. :-)

Comments (2)

• mingtea
    15 years ago

cane begonias can become lanky and either pruning them (you can root the pieces) or pinching back the new growth can encourage a fuller shape. you can certainly stake them up, but i don't see restraining the branches as a good way to improve he shape in the long run.

-ming

• blondiesc
    15 years ago

I have great success with pinching back cane begonias. Makes them much fuller and lush. Wish I had taken some "before" pics to show you the results.

By the way, I like "plantful". Hope you don't mind if I use that to describe my great days in the garden. It is where I get my dirt therapy.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths