Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia Staking?

Posted by Scaly 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 22:55

I'm kinda new to begonias. I bought some red and yellow begonia tubers at Home Depot this year and put them in pots. I'm not sure what kind they are, non stop?. Well they are getting big and starting to flower. One red one had a huge flower on it. I noticed the stem drooping and on closer inspection I discovered the stem had snapped. The pots are outdoors. Do I need to stake these? Do they need to be sheltered from wind or rain?
I put the broken stem in a vase to see if the other two or three flower buds will bloom. I hope so. What a huge nice flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia Staking?

Uggh!! don't you hate it when a really beautiful or prescious plant gets snapped by the elements (or evil-doers like squirrels) in midglory. I had the bad fortune to leave my lilies in the care of a friend while I was moving and theses lilies were huge and ready to bloom, but then we kept being hit by storm after storm, eventually some snapped and others drowned, AARGH!!!

Anyway, if they snapped off, you probably want to support them well. Living in Oklahoma, it's impossible to have a plant out of the wind, unless it's indoors or somewhere very sheltered since it's always windy here. However, if you support it properly they should do just fine under regular weather conditions... you could try to move them somewhere more sheltered if a big storm comes by, that is if you have them in containers.

o
RE: Begonia Staking?

• Posted by bmchan z5 central MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 19, 05 at 22:32

In Mike Stevens book: Begonias, he describes a staking system that works well. A wooden stake and grafting tape get the job done. Unless your plants are sheltered, you should stake them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here