Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

new (rescued) plant

greenelbows1
16 years ago

Friend of mine knew I liked begonias and brought me one she had rescued. It is probably the ugliest begonia I've ever seen, which is pretty bad 'cause I sometimes have some pretty ugly ones all by myself! It's easy to miss one when you have too many, and of course over the winter they struggle, but this is even more so. I'm pretty sure it's Sophie Cecile, tho' the leaves are about half the size of mine. It's very tall--about half-way between my elbow and shoulder, and I'm about 5'6", but it just has a few little leaves at the top of long bare canes that have been pruned several times, so branches are shooting off in several directions. But the really amazing thing is it's in full bloom! I've always heard Sophie tends to be hard to bloom, and mine, while rather nice, has not bloomed. I know there are some plants you have to torture a bit to get to bloom, but I wouldn't expect a begonia to act like that. I'm boggled.

Comments (13)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Maybe it looks close to Sophie but is really another hybrid?

I bought this one earlier this year from a local nursery. It looks like Sophie in a way but I'm sure it isn't. Then I bought another one similar to this yesterday at HD for $4 because the blooms were a paler pink than the first one.

A couple of days ago in bloom.
    {{gwi:435869}}

3 months ago after buying it.
    {{gwi:435871}}

One of my "supposedly" Sophie plants last year.
    {{gwi:435872}}

• gregsytch
    16 years ago

The last picture is Sophie Cecile. This cane is a shy bloomer unless it receives a lot of light, incl sun. In sun, it grows taller with sparse leaves but blooms. In shade or lower light, the leaves look great but it becomes shy. You can always add a bloom food to encourage flowers...12-55-7 or so. I try to keep mine unnder 6-8' in pots because they blow over in our storms. My landscape specimens are all in a fair amount of sun and are over 5' tall, but not quite as full. They do bloom sporadically. Greg Sytch ABS Horticultural Correspondent Tampa Bay FL

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The leaves are on the new one are definitely smaller, but it may be just that those of any size have fallen off, or been pinched off 'cause they're damaged. Curious. I thought I planted the one I already had in more sun than I did--things seem to have a bad habit of growing--especially with all the wonderful rain we've had this year. I think you may well be right, Butch--but I guess time will tell. And thanks again for your pictures!

• susancva
    16 years ago

I have a question for hcmcdole: I see that you found a cane in HD. Does HD have them with the annuals or with houseplants? I can never find canes unless I get lucky and find one at a specialty shop.

Thanks,
    Susan

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Greg,

Thanks for the information on Sophie. I thought mine had bloomed many years ago when I planted it in the ground but I haven't seen it bloom for at least the last 3 years. I will repot mine (or plant it in the ground for the remainder of summer), give it lots more sun, and fertilize on the heavy side.

Susan,

I got mine in the outdoor area with the annuals. One store had several different types - 'Maurice Amey', 'Don Miller', 'Sinbad', 'Richmondensis', one that looked like 'Concord', the one above that looks like 'Sophie Cecile', and 'Chocolate' or 'Brazilian Lady' or something like that. The small one I just got at a different HD only had the Sophie look alike and 'Richmondensis'. Again $3.97 for an 8 inch pot (probably could've/should've been in a 6 inch pot).

• susancva
    16 years ago

Thanks. I've started looking around the outdoor sections lately but so far, have not seen anything.

Susan

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Here are the ones I got from HD recently.

The bigger one in the back is from a local nursery and was $15 while the one in front is from HD ($3.97). Are they the same?

{{gwi:435874}}

'Sinbad' from HD.
    {{gwi:435876}}

'Don Miller' from HD.
    {{gwi:435877}}

'Maurice Amey' from HD.
    {{gwi:435878}}

'Chocolate' or similar.
    {{gwi:435879}}

'Linda Dawn'? from HD.
    {{gwi:435880}}

I wish the big stores would get a lot more varieties in their stores - maybe start replacing some of the other common annuals you see every year.

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

Here in SC HD had the Sophie-like one, Sinbad and what I think is Cracklin Rosie. Does Cracklin Rosie always have pink dots on the leaves? These are silver. I also found these in the shade annuals section.

Butch, what part of the state are you in? I am in northwest SC, about 20 minutes from the GA line.

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on what the Sophie like one could be? The splashes are longer and wider than the true Sophie, and the lobes are not as deeply cut.

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

I am 20 miles west of Atlanta off of I-20. Cracklin Rosie has wavy leaves and silver polka dots. Here is my Cracklin Rosie (front center).

{{gwi:435881}}

And what I always thought was Sophie in the center and Cracklin Rosie to the right.

{{gwi:435882}}

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

Thanks for the Rosie pictures--I've got her. That is definitely my plant. I visit Atlanta every couple months, often plant hunting. Do you have favorite Atlanta begonia sources? I always check Pike's on Laburnum and then I try to hit a few HD's and Lowe's. Ever been to GardenSmith, not too far from Mall of GA--I think in Jefferson? They have nice begonias sometimes. Do you recommend any of the HD's or Lowe's as being especially good for houseplants?

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

No favorite Atlanta begonia source but just a few stores close by. One of the surprises has been Ace Hardware. They (two different ones) can have great buys at times and then be dogs at other times. The closest one had been getting Harmony begonias on a regular basis but went out of business only to open again under new ownership and now it is going downhill. HD, Lowes (occasionally), Wal-Mart, Pikes, and Lost Mountain Nursery (always has great begonias in spring) are regular haunts. Never been to GardenSmith. Been to Mall of GA once but that is too far to go for mall shopping. Used to go to the Pottery Shed (Barn) in Commerce once a year but the last time I went their indoor plants were going downhill.

HD, Lowe's, and Wal-Mart are always good to start a collection in houseplants. This year alone I have bought a bat flower (black one), variegated tapioca (manihot), and a couple of cordylines at Wal-Mart. I used to buy ferns, crotons, bromeliads, etc. at all 3. I still buy cactus and succulents at Wal-Mart and Lowes. HD at times has great houseplants but seem sporadic. Pikes is always a good place to check (I go to the one on Roswell Rd in Marietta and Barrett Pkwy on the Dallas Hwy). That is the nice thing about the last location - it has a Lowe's and HD in the same area. Going west from there on the Dallas HWY for about 5 miles will get you to Lost Mtn Nursery. Worth the trip in the spring especially.

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

I have never heard of Lost Mtn, so that's a great tip. I used to love the potteries in Commerce, and it is sad what had happened to their greenhouses. They are almost empty. They don't even have the big pot yard anymore. I heard they sold that area to a used car lot! Our Aces in SC never have live plants.