Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my begonia leaves?

Posted by socks12345 Zone 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 23:30

My first tuberous begonia, the leaves are being eaten. Could it be slugs or earwings? That's what I see often. Thought I had the slugs handled but maybe not. Don't put out any bait for the earwigs, just smash when I see them. Any idea what's eating the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my begonia leaves?

Socks...there are several insects that nibble on leaves.
Earwigs got to one of my Citrus last year. I had NO idea they were living in the soil since we haven't seen any the last 3-yrs.

Someone suggested waking in the early A.M. to see if EW's were on top of soil and/or leaves. The source woke early in the morn, and found EW's on leaves and soil of his plants. Other times of the day they were gone, hidden inside the soil.

In my case, after unpotting, there they were..Earwigs galore.
When plants are outside, 'and indoors,' many insects, 'including stingers,' make a home in and on our plants.

Have you inspected for other insect types? Toni

o

Toni, no I have not inspected but will do it. Thanks for the suggestion.

o

Toni, I inspected under the plant and in the nearby rocks on the ground and didn't see any earwigs. I removed the decimated leaves and noticed the newer leaves look pretty good, so maybe whatever it was moved on. Let's hope. Thanks.

o

• Posted by ornata London UK (8/9%3F) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 9:46

Slugs and snails don't eat Begonias, which is another reason for me to love them (Begonias, that is - not molluscs...)

o

Socks, I too hope whatever moved on.
Once, a rabbit ate a Mimosa started from seed..first he/she nibbled, then one day, the entire plant was gone. lol.

Good luck, Toni

o

Hey Toni, if you see that rabbit again, let me know. I'll gladly pay his way down here!

Socks, your culprit could be European peppered moth caterpillar. If the munching has stopped, maybe you'll find a cocoon to destroy?

o

Purple, lol. Will do.

Actually, there's now a family of rabbits, squirrels, 'including one grey-furry type, eat my citrus fruit,' opposum, a zillion birds, 'they land on long-leaf plants,' raccoons, and an extra-ordinary number of ANTS!!!

You are welcome to all but the birds, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here