Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joy4me_gw

RE: Beefsteak Begonia? .. again..

joy4me
17 years ago

Hi again;

I Really should state that it may be rhizomatous or rex for the begonia that I need ID for. I have a poor habit of referring to both as one or the other. I do have to get each straight one day!!

Thanks!!!

Comments (3)

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

'Beefsteak begonia' is rhizomatous. Rexes are also rhizomatous but have Begonia rex, the species, in their 'family tree.' If you'd like to read up on the differences you could check out the American Begonia Society web site--they have articles, pictures, information about new species, places to identify plants you already have, sources for new ones--etc. etc. etc.

• joy4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi greenelbows1;

Love the name, BTW!!

I do know about the difference in types, just that I lump them together, though I know better. I have quite a few of both varieties...just trying to track down one in particular that I've not come across before and haven't found anyone else so far who knows this one. I haven't had any luck as yet in IDing it. (see post"Beefsteak Begonia or ??") I'll keep trying by checking more sites. Didn't find it on the ABS site. I do know it is either rex or rhizomatous, just don't have an ID.....Yet! :) Too bad my printer is down so I could send a pic.

Thanks for your quick response, I'll keep on looking and/or hope someone else knows this one. Maybe something mutated/new?...that would be nice!!

Thanks again!!!

• joy4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi again;

I put a better discriptin on the above post "Beefsteak begonia or??" that I obtained from pics on the ALBASTRO sit. Maybe this will be more of a help?

Thanks!!!