Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotchey

Propagating Begonia Dragon Wing & Bayou

dkotchey
18 years ago

I have some beautiful Dragon Wing begonias this year (I believe that's what they are called. They are the type that are sold in nurseries as "annuals"). I also have some Begonia Bayou Scarlet that I grew from seeds (from Park seeds) - they are doing just awesome (quite the surprise for me).

Can I propagate these 2 type of plants from leaf or stem cuttings? What's the best way to do so? Also, can I bring the cuttings in the house for the winter and then bring them back out in the spring/summer? (Basically, I'm trying preserve the plants so I can have more next year without starting from seed).

Comments (5)

• paulinep
    18 years ago

I propagate Dragon Wing Begonias just like I do with my impatiens---pinch and poke method Here is a picture of my gate planters with some I have propagated, and below is my album site of my pinch and poke method which works well with dragon wing begonia also. Some of the ones I have were propagated from plant I moved into garage last year. They are very easy to propagate.
    Pauline
    {{gwi:436151}}
    {{gwi:436153}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinch & Poke Propagatin

• dkotchey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pauline - Can I please move into your yard? Your gardens are just great. Your pictures are wonderful. I took a peek at your other photobucket albums.

I'm going to try your pinch and poke method. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions on how to over winter the Dragon wings? Should I bring them into the garage to allow them to go dormant. Or can I bring them in the house?

• paulinep
    18 years ago

Dkotchey, Glad you enjoyed my pictures and my other albums. I drag lots of plants into the garage and sometimes neglect them, barely keeping them alive until I can drag them back out. Fortunately, our winters here are relatively short. I think you could try bringing the dragon wings into the house and if it isn't too hot they should do fine. By the time I bring them out in the spring, they look pretty awful, but just pinching and poking seems to wake them up and off they go again. I do same with some impatiens. I do know they will grow fairly well inside the home as well, as long as they don't get too dry and hot.
    I love the way the impatiens reseed here. I get a fresh crop each year.
    Keep checking out my photos, I often add new albums, etc., when I need to share.
    Pauline

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

Pauline, I love that flowing stuff on the right side of the gate. What is it?

Dkotchey, I keep angelwings in the house over the winter. Just put them in a corner by the window and they'll be fine. Pinch 'n Poke em indoors if they get straggly, or just cut them back.

-Mo (WV)

• paulinep
    18 years ago

Mo, that plant is Bacopa and I must water it daily --good thing the begonias like the extra water too. Once Bacopa gets dry, it is gone.
    Pauline

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County