Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tba724

Wax begonia getting fried/overwatered?

tba724
18 years ago

I bought a hanging pot of wax begonias (green leaves, bright red flowers) a few weeks ago, and have been hanging it on the front side of my house, which faces west. For the first three weeks or so, it did very well with me watering it once a day. It did well even a couple of weeks ago, when we had extremely hot temperatures (mid- to upper-90's), and despite the fact that it receives sun all afternoon.

However, in recent days the leaves have looked burned, and the flowers also look cooked (darker red, withered look). I thought that perhaps it needed more water, so I've been soaking the pot at least once a day. I should have come to this forum first, because now I realize that maybe I've been overwatering it. Aside from that, why would it do fine for a few weeks and then start to look fried? Should I re-pot it, and move it inside so it receives indirect sunlight? If I do re-pot it, what kind of mixture shoudl I use for the soil? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I love begonias, and would like to see this little guy survive and thrive.

Comments (3)