Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_in_bristol

Anyone growing Begonia scapigera?

jane_in_bristol
15 years ago

Hi All,

after being "away" from my begonia growing, and losing many plants, I'm now returning to the hobby, and slavaging the plants which somehow survived.

Anyhow, I have a B. scapigera which has remarkably been living in the baggie it arrived in over a year ago, propped against another plant's pot with natural light, and with only occasional attention when I've noticed it looked awfully dry. Its not thriving, but has survived - what a tough plant! I'd like to give it some TLC, and see what it can really do. But I am finding very little information about it on the web. Images were all of dried collection specimens, no information about current culture of this plant. By its lineage, I've gathered that it's African, probably a yellow-flowered, and I assume it would need a terrarium.

Questions:

How large does it get? (i.e. - should I put it in a 5" bowl, or a 10" bowl?)

How much light? Would it prefer the end of the light stand, under the 2-lamp fixture, or smack dab under the middle of the brighter 3-lamp fixture?

Does it like a little lime in the substrate, and how much organic matter?

How chunky should the substrate be? Very loose cut up pieces of sphagnum, or finer, perhaps mixed w/ some finer soil-less mix?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

-Jane

Comments (2)