Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonias in full bloom..seed pods?

Posted by milly35 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 12:02

So they've fully bloomed...but was hoping for some advise on what to do with all the lil seed pods appearing? I'd really like to multiply my collection for next year. This was my first year of Begonias and absolutely LOOVE them...thanks in advance for any thoughts.
:) Milly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
other blooms I'd like to share...

Here is a single up close of one...just I'd share the beauty!

o
Yellow

This one is my favorite....just love the yellow

o
RE: Begonias in full bloom..seed pods?

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 12:08

Err, I always pinched the female flowers off before they even opened, as they are single flowered and I didn't want plant to waste energy on them.

Best way to multiply is probably by stem cuttings. Second best would be leaf cuttings.

Third, would be tuber sectioning. And fourth, unless you have a greenhouse would be hard....seeds.

o

aren't hybrids sterile? you can't grow them from seeds!
if you decide to take tip cuttings, they need to have at least 2 nodes with leaf buds . i read that if you only have nodes where the flowers grew - they won't take.

o

Curiously enough, tuberhybrida seeds will self or even cross and you can grow plants from them. The only problem is that a full grown plant will show only a tiny tuber at the end of the growing season, so small it will be very hard to carry it over for another season.

o

woebegonia, it's good to know for the future that they can self-pollinate, i'll make a note.
if i am not mistaken this is a large-leafed tuberous?
if you pinch the top tip and add an inch of fresh soil into the pot too - it'll trigger good basal growth. then you can remove new basal stems when they are 4-5" tall (do not cut, just snap them off at the base) - they would make quite nice new plants. but you'll need to grow them thru the winter with good light. they'll bloom in spring if you have good culture without going into dormancy. or so i read, i have not actually done so myself.
however i did induce the basal growth on my plant- 5 big shoots in addition to 2 canes. and i can see already some buds forming on young shoots too. though mine drops most of the buds - too hot here.
but i want to grow it large to increase the tuber for next year.
new basal shoots will make it very bushy.
you flowers look very nice, i wish mine were better...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here