Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what about tuberous begonia seeds?

Posted by bern_2007 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 13:35

When to save them? Do they need to dry? When to plant them? What your experience with them?
I have a yellow, some red, and a white with some pink on the underside of the petal. I've tried cutting from some, but they rot in the ground. what's your best success, you had with them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what about tuberous begonia seeds?

Seed pods should dry on the plant. Surface sow on sterile moist medium and keep covered with clear plastic wrap until they germinate. Never allow them to dry out. It may take months to get a big enough plant to blooming size. It is a lot easier to buy tubers or plants than raising from seed unless you have extreme patience. T&M, Park Seed, and Antonelli are a few places you can buy seed but I've had poor success with most. Fresh seed is the best way to go so harvesting your own may give you a lot more success.

Check some begonia sites for growing from seed.

Brad's Begonia World is a good place to start.

o
RE: what about tuberous begonia seeds?

hcmcdole;
thanks for the link, There seems to be a lot of info there, I'll check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here