Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help..Every frustrating. Picture of brown leaves.

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 14:57

All of a sudden, leaves on a few of my begonias will do this..

Can someone tell me what it could be..I do not put them in full sun..Morning or late afternoon sun is what I provide..I wait until after the mix has dried out before watering again.... I use a well aerated mix that dries out rapidly..

Any help would be appreciated..Thank you so much..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you very much.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help..Every frustrating. Picture of brown leaves.

All set..

I got my answer...

Thanks you anyway..:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia

o

What is the composition of your mix for begonias?

o

Hi rainygarden..

I was told it was a disease and without looking at the link, I can't remember..

It is one that is still in farfard mix which is basically 80% bark, the rust perlite and peat..

I normally grow most my plants in a gritty mix or a mix with very little peat, such as 5 parts bark, one part peat, and one part perlite..

Do have a recommendation? Another idea?

Thank you for asking..:-)

Mike

o

Hi: No, I don't that's why I was asking. The 5-1-1 isn't working for the very small plants I have. I tried to add more peat and that didn't help. I am now spraying
RD-20 fungicide in case it is some kind of fungus. But I think it's too late and now I'll try to root the leaves from the only plant left.

o

Hi rainygarden,

Mine is not in the 5.1.1 mix...I usually use it, but this time I was lazy and just used the Farfard mix..

I am really starting to think there is some kind of blight going around....Al at the houseplant forums pointed it out to me and I was reading that this disease, affects begonias and grape leaves especially.. Go figure, right?

I have never grown one before, thought I would try, and the only two I have do this...

I am going to do what Al says, and remove all the affeceted leaves and start a couple of cuttings...
I hope it works....:-(

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here