Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New guy :)

Posted by Auron22 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 17:09

Lurked GW for about 3 years, been a member for little over a year I think? Mostly active on houseplants, and lurk perrenials, orchids, and c/s a lot. Anyway, i'm feeling an obsession with begonia's coming on....and I figured this would be a great place to get my fix and become more familiar with begonia culture.

Until recently begonia's was just that one plant I never really thought much about....for some reason. I have what I "think" is an illumination golden picotee begonia. I purchased it as a gift for my mother on mothers day. Recently saw it and i'm dangerously jealous. I thought it was amazing and i'm going to propagate that thing whether she likes it or not.lol. When I go to big box stores, nurseries or garden sales I am now on the look out for awesome begonia's like this one. I wouldn't mind another picotee or two either, saw a lovely pink one on houseplants forum.

I have no idea if this is considered impressive or not, but I loved it. Begonia illumination golden picotee.
DSCN0570

DSCN0571

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New guy :)

That looks pretty impressive to me New Guy. Wished we could grow them that well in the Atlanta area but after years of trying, I gave up on tuberous. I may have to try them again one year after seeing this.

o

Thanks hcmcdole :)

This summer for us was on the cool side, unlike last. It's northern exposure with two large trees, so it's at least 5°F cooler than our backyard. It gets morning sun and evening sun. Total of about 4 hours direct sun I think. Hopefully I can successfully grow it at my house, seems like my mother has a perfect spot.

Upon closer inspection I saw that it could use some "pruning"? Not sure if people prune begonia's or just pinch the tips or something. I'll just wait until it stops flowering in the fall and prune it by taking cuttings.

o

If a begonia gets leggy it can definitely be pruned and propagated. Pinching tips can keep it bushy.

You do know that tuberous begonias do go dormant, right? Take cuttings soon if you want to propagate it so they start making their own little tubers before going dormant themselves. You will probably need to callus the cuttings before putting them into a potting mix. There is an excellent Scottish site with pictures on propagating a tuberous begonia by leaf and log cuttings.

I was able to find the site but the download of the PDF file is a bit slow.
Propagating a tuberous begonia from leaf cutting

Here is the home page:
Home page of the Scottish Begonia Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here