Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you ID this one?

Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 17:17

This is just an ordinary run of the mill, no exotic hybrid, but I would like to ID it in a general way (type?) just so I can take care of it properly. Someone brought a bunch of stems to a plant swap, and I took some home. They rooted easily. I have it in 100% shade, so the leaves may look different given some sun. The new leaves have hairs on the edge of the leaf and the stems are quite hairy. The new leaves are brown, and green up as they mature. Thanks for any info you can offer,

I just want to take care of them properly, so that they thrive and are happy.

Thank you,

New leaf:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Leaf starting to mature:

Rooted cutting:

Another rooted cutting:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you ID this one?

I can't identify the varieties specifically, but they are beautifully grown rhizomatous begonias. Probably have names. They don't need much sun, as yours demonstrate, tho' they'll put up with a little. Dappled shade is about all. Rhizomatous begonias will use their rhizomes to walk right out of their pots--you can re-pot periodically, placing the back end of the rhizome up tight against the edge of the pot and getting the growing tip in the middle, or you can just remove the front part and pot it separately. It'll make the back send out new shoots to make a more 'balanced' plant, and you can pot up the front for a new start. There are other methods for keeping them 'young' and growing vigorously too. Maybe others will plug their methods!

o

It looks a lot like 'Bethlehem Star', but I cannot be positive from the pic. Different conditions also grow begonias differently. Greg in HOT DRY Tampa Bay

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 16, 07 at 19:04

Thank you, greenelbows1, for the helpful growing tips, now I know better what to do with them. I saved a copy of your instructions and hopefully I can get some nice looking and substantial plants out of my little rootlings.

Thank you, gregsytch, I think you are correct, I googled some pictures of Begonia 'Bethlehem Star', and that appears to be what it is, you have amazing ID skills to pick that out from my terrible pictures!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here