Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speaking of Droopy Begonias......

Posted by StonesRiver 6B Tennessee (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 05 at 18:28

.....Okay, I admit it; I let some of my beautiful begonias dry to the point of drooping.

What were once wonderful, tall, upright stems are now sadly drooping shadows of their former glorious selves.

What should I do? They are in north-facing windows. The only other available window is an unobstructed south window. Should I put them under lights? Remove some of the droopy stems so they won't zap any more energy and pray for the best?

b. 'Super Curl,' 'Nautilus' and 'Purple Snow' anxiously await your answers.

Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaking of Droopy Begonias......

• Posted by MingTea z8 OR Corvallis (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 12:56

usually a totally droopy plant will come back after some intense watering. (i leave pots in a saucer/small bowl of water for at least 15-30 minutes of bottom watering).

it's sad, but most of the big stems are usually toast at this point and generally look like heck--getting crispy margins, black spots etc. the plant will put out new growth after it perks up, but go ahead and trim off some of the worst older leaves.

-ming

o

Thanks, Ming; as always, your help is appreciated.

I will get out the scissors and do better with what's left of these begonias.

Linda

o

• Posted by MingTea z8 OR Corvallis (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 14:01

oh, and don't feel bad, linda--

i only know this because i've done it more than a few times. :)

-ming

o

Haven't we all?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here