Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation of Begonia luxurians

Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 15 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 19:56

Hi,

I have a couple small B. luxurians plants and I'd like to propagate them.

Photobucket

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that this species can be propagated using leaf cuttings (see for example http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/prop.htm ), so I don't have to chop off half the plant.

Leaf cuttings of course would be a bit big, but I understand I can trim these down. I also understand that the portions that are removed can themselves be used as cuttings if they have a main vein. In B. luxurians these outer pieces would correspond to the leaflets--and there are many--10+ per leaf.

So I'm curious if I can indeed use the leaflets to propagate these plants. If so, roughly how long would it take for them to root? How about the cutting that contains the petiole?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation of Begonia luxurians

I went ahead and took cuttings--the smallest (and oldest) leaf from each plant. I cut the leaflets partly off, which reduced the size of the leaves considerably, to about 2 1/2 or 3 inches. I reduced the petioles to about 1 1/2 inches. I used the cut off leaflets as cuttings as well--we'll see. I'll try to remember to post any results.

Begonia luxurians cuttings

I'm still curious whether anyone either thinks (educated guesses are certainly welcome) or knows from experience whether this will work. I'm also curious of how long it might take to get roots from either the cuttings that contain the petiole or the leaflet cuttings.

Thanks.

o

Hi Mark,

I dont your answer to your question, but am curious to see if it works... Please keep us updated..Barb

o

How did the Begonia cuttings work Mark?

o

Cuttings of the "leaflets" died.

Cuttings of a "pared down" leaf grew a root or two, but never lived.

Stem cuttings were easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here