Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

My Favorites (pics)

marquest
14 years ago

As summer comes to a close it will soon be time to bring them in so I snapped some pics.

They will bring color to my Sunroom for the winter.

{{gwi:437238}}

{{gwi:437239}}

{{gwi:437240}}

Comments (11)

• blondiesc
    14 years ago

Very nice begonias you have there! Thank you for sharing them!

• kathy_h_grower
    14 years ago

Very nice Oxalis also.

• bettylu_zone6a
    14 years ago

Loved your pictures! I will also be wintering my begonias in my sunroom, but this will be the first year for me to do so. Do you have any tips to offer so that I will be more likely to be successful?

I just brought them all in last weekend and they are in the south facing window of the sunroom. I have not yet turned the heat on out there, but even when I do, the baseboard heater (no blower) just keeps it above freezing the the coldest weather. We use the fireplace when the temps get low, but only when we are out in the sunroom to enjoy it.

The plants I brought in range in size from a 2' diameter plant in an 8" pot (maybe I should re-pot it?)to a tiny rex in a 6" pot.

I appreciate any directions you can offer!

BettyLu

• bernice_2007
    14 years ago

I have gorgeous begonias outside in pots, am I understanding I can bring them in for the winter? As Houseplants?

Yakima WA Palm Springs of Washington.

• hc mcdole
    14 years ago

Yes you can bring begonias in for winter unless you want to treat them as annuals. Some are so hard to find that once you do obtain them, it would be hard to let them go to the ravages of winter.

Winter care indoors is not without its challenges though but I find it worth the extra effort.

• marquest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have not had any problems keeping mine alive throught the winter.

My sunroom stays at 70 during the winter. I keep them sorta on the dry side. Water about once every 2 weeks. They are on the side of the sunroom that gets morning sun afternoon shade.

I have read people get bug problems in the winter I have never had a bug problem. Before I bring my plants in (I have 70 houseplants), I hose them off before I bring them in and I do a 50/50 water and peroxide spray during the winter about once a month.

• marquest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So how did every one's plants do over the winter?

Mine did good but I have been wintering mine for 3 years.

• irish_rose_grower
    14 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful collection of begonias you have - so healthy looking too.

• snasxs
    14 years ago

Where can I buy begonia 'Hugh McLaughlin' ?

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Gorgeous pics! I can't wait for my baby Hugh to grow up a little!

Thnaks!
    Alexa

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!