Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

Has anyone got a 'Cowardly Lion' Begonia?

AdamM321
19 years ago

Hi,

I just saw a photo online of a 'Cowardly Lion' Begonia. I just loved it! I wonder if anyone here has one and can tell me how it is to grow and where you got it?

Here is the webaddress if you want to see the photo of it:

http://www.begonias.org/greenhouse/Bimage.asp?imageID=165

Thanks,

Adam

Comments (19)

• Begoniac
    19 years ago

B. 'Cowardly Lion' is one of the best hybrids ever made. It's a Kit Jeans Mounger cross, B. carrieae x B. 'Bokit'. Countless other crosses have been made, using this one as a parent, because of its amazing genetic diversity. It's a vigorous grower for just about everyone.

The coloration of the leaves varies a lot and definitely reminds you of the Cowardly Lion's fur in the Wizard of Oz. It's a medium-sized rhizomatous begonia which is suitable for houseplant growth, as it doesn't get gigantic as some of the rhizomatous ones do. The leaves get fairly large, though.

As for availability, the Buxton Branch of the ABS is in Cambridge. I don't know how close that is to you, but here's the info:
    Wanda Macnair
    59 Walker St.
    Cambridge, MA 02138
    617-876-1356
    buxton@begonias.org

Many of the members grow it, I'm sure. There are also online sites that sell it. It's not one that you would normally find in Home Depot or Walmart. I've never seen it there, at any rate, but new varieties are appearing there all the time, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I've grown it for years, but right now I'm dealing with hurricane damage, so I don't even know if it survived Frances. I won't be able to do any trades for a while.

Good luck with your search.
    Elizabeth

• pat_tx9
    19 years ago

I've got only one now and haven't had time to make leaf cuttings but thought
    maybe Logee's Greenhouse might have one. The Cowardly Lion is really
    pretty. If you email me I'll try to keep up with your address and send you
    one if I make cuttings or by chance get one at our meetings.

• Nigella
    19 years ago

Also, check out eBay for unusual begonias, some of the sellers there are very good growers. Make sure to look for a good feedback rating and actually read some of the feedback left, you can learn a lot about a seller not only from the feedback they've received but also by what they leave for others.

• AuntieCelene
    19 years ago

In the coincidence of all time, mine was knocked over by a #@%&! squirrel last night, and I have several fresh leaves...want them?

HTH,

Celene

• seaecho1
    19 years ago

I've also admired Cowardly Lion, and the only reason I haven't gotten one is because they grow a big too large for me, who grows indoors. Darn. . .

Randi

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. :-) I didn't realize it was such a popular begonia, although I understand why.

Elizabeth, thanks for all the great info. I did find an email address at the website and sent off an email already. I have wanted to get in touch with the local Begonia Society, so your post gave me the nudge I needed. I am so sorry to hear you sustained damage from the hurricanes. I see on the news today that now Jeanne is hitting FLA. You poor people must be just so sick of it all. I am amazed that here in Boston, where many hurricanes end up, that we have only had a few days of strong winds and rain from it all. I hope your damage is not extensive and Jeanne misses you. Doesn't hurricane season end soon??!

Pat...thanks for the offer to send one. If I don't get one soon, I will absolutely send you an email. Thanks :-)

Nigella, sounds like you are quite experienced at EBay. I guess I know where to go if I have questions. [g] I have never tried EBay. I guess I should get on it, huh? Since it will be too cold to send plants soon.

Celene, I would love a cutting if you have one! I will send you an email, and if there is anything I have that I can trade I would be happy to. Thanks

Randi, why is it too big for indoors? Do you have a small apartment?

Adam

• seaecho1
    19 years ago

Well, Adam, the reason its too big is because I have so darn many orchids to begin with! And cactus and succulents, not to mention my other houseplants. I have to stick with very small plants from now on, because I'm almost completely out of space. Both back bedrooms are packed with plants covering the entire window space, and the rest of the house has plants on every conceivable table and nook and cranny. Its amazing how many small plants/miniatures you can fit into the same space where one large plant would go!

Randi

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Randi,

Sounds great! I am just starting to collect houseplants this year. I used to have a nice collection about 20 years ago..lol. Since I moved into my present house, two things happened. I got a backyard and found my energies focused on growing outdoors, and I have't got the good indoor light that I had previously.

So what are your favorite plants? What do you consider small plants?

Adam

• dirtclod
    19 years ago

I had a beautiful one last week. This week the leaves have all curled up at the ends and look very dead. What happen? What can I do?

• seaecho1
    19 years ago

I love orchids, and have 40 currently. I love small rhizo begonias, rex begonias (although I don't have enough humidity for them), syngoniums (I have a couple of the Illusion series and a Neon Tetra), sanseveria, photos, philos, and aroids. I have a Black Velvet Alocasia that I got about a month ago that I'm very excited about. I also have a flat of wax begonias that I picked up at Target for $1.99 a couple months ago. I've enjoyed the heck out of them! They bloom constantly, and grow quickly, especially compared to orchids! I have them indoors, and they seem perfectly happy. What are your favorites, Adam?

Randi

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Dirtclod and Randy,

You might want to start a new thread, as you might get more responses to your comments and questions. I wouldn't have an answer for you dirtclod, as I don't have one yet. :-)

Randi, Orchids for some reason are not a plant I have ever thought of growing. Are they expensive? As for begonias, I love lots of different ones. The angel wings, some of the rhizomatous, and of course, who doesn't like Rexes? Right now I am staying away from them though, since I keep hearing that they are a little finicky.
    I don't know what a syngonium is, and dont have time to look it up right now. I have a sanserveria, but it is tiny...lol. I should have bought a few and put them together in a pot. I like some philos, don't know what an aroid is. Yes that Alocasia is very nice. I also got a flat of wax begonias over the summer and am enjoying those too. I brought them in the house and they are holding their own. What are you doing to yours indoors?

I also enjoy African violets, Streptocarpus and just got a new episcia. I enjoy ferns and palms and geraniums and gardenias..and I guess it would be easier to say what I DON"T like...lol.

Right now I just have a handful of plants in the house and am trying not to kill them..lol I just made an order to Rob's Violets and hope I don't kill those before they get big enough to flower. Going to start a new thread.

:-)
    Adam

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Elizabeth,

Just thought you would like to know I did contact that email address you gave me for ABS. Someone did contact me, but it wasn't Wanda. I think it might be another branch of the ABS, not the Cambridge one. Which is okay too. The meetings would be no further away than Cambridge anyway.

Thanks for that help. I hope I can go to their next meeting.

Adam

• seaecho1
    19 years ago

Adam, orchids, unfortunately, are expensive, in most people's opinion. I've always loved houseplants, but when I bought my first orchid two years ago, I was an instant believer! Home Depot and Lowe's sell them for an average of $19.99 for a 4-6 inch pot. But. . . when they bloom, they are well worth it! I have rebloomed approximately a third of my 40 plants, and had to wait over a year and a half for the first rebloom, but when it happened I was turning cartwheels with joy! They are just awesome, and there are so many different varieties - 40,000 or so and this doesn't include hybrids! So its easy to get carried away, because you can never have them all, and it drives you crazy! I guarantee you'll get addicted the minute you buy one plant! Don't even do it if you don't want to be hooked for life.

I have one Strep (Joker) and it hasn't bloomed for me yet. Its getting big though. I love streps.

Syngonium also goes by the name Nephytis (sp) or Arrowhead plant. They are really easy, and you'd know one instantly if you saw it. They are common - but I love the new colors they are coming in now.

Alocasias are in the aroid family. So are colocasias, etc. Really fascinating plants.

My waxes are doing great indoors. Growing and blooming all the time. They made me fall in love with begonias! I like the bronze leaves the best. I don't do anything special with them - just mist them every morning and let them dry out between waterings, and fertilize once a month with Peters 20-20-20, half strength.

How are you doing with your episcia? I haven't tried those yet - I'm chicken since I heard they are tricky, and I don't have enough humidity, I don't believe.

I've ordered from Rob's Violets before, but for some reason I can't keep AVs alive, and I finally gave up on them. Didn't matter if I got them from a grower or ebay or a friend - they always end up croaking on me. Especially the minis. I do still have a couple of standards currently, but I know its just a matter of time before they wilt and die. They even bloom beautifully, but then all of a sudden, its curtains. :( So I no longer let myself get excited about them.

Do you like bulbs, and do you grow any? I have some Ledebourias that are just toooooooo cute. (Also known as Scillas). They aren't real common in culture yet, but can be treated much like cactus, and I think they're the neatest little things. Mine are miniatures. I could go on about plants all day! Will look for your new thread. And come on over to the orchid board!

Randi

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Randi,

Today, I saw orchids at Home Depot on sale for $10. They were all looking pretty unhappy, but I didn't really look at them closely. They must be expensive if that is the SALE price. You should check your local HD.

Yes, my strep is very small..two leaves. I am sure it will be quite awhile until they bloom.

I do know the arrowhead plant and used to have one a long time ago. Easy plant, haven't seen the new colors. I actually just picked up a similar plant, Difenbachia at HD, which I hadn't planned on buying. I was sure I didn't want one, but I saw one with such different markings, I HAD to bring it home. [g] I was looking for a begonia but the two they had looked awful so I passed.

I saw some Alocassias at HD today too. Huge ones. Very different looking.

My wax begonias are bronze with pink flowers. I have been doing the same thing, but haven't fertilized in awhile. I should try that. How much light are they getting? What exposure? West, East?

I just got my first episcias. I just love the leaves. So far, I have it in an East Window. I have it on a tray with glasses of water in among the plants. I hope to put it on a pebble tray for humidity. I have a great tray and just have to get some pebbles. Why don't you try that?

Gee that is too bad about the AVs. I just heard someone else today say the same thing. I wonder what the problem was. I haven't grown them in years, so I guess I will have to pay attention. I just got a book out of the library called.. 1000 questions asked about African Violets.

I love bulbs, who doesn't? :-) I haven't grown any in the house. A few years ago I did grow an Amarylis, but I don't really like the looks of them. You can't beat the speed of growth though. I have Scillas in the yard? I would love to pot up bulbs to grow indoors later in the winter, but I never get around to it.

Don't look for me on the orchid board..lol! I have my hands full at the moment, with new plants, and leaves that are in a propagation box. I will do well just to keep these alive.

Yes, I could talk plants all day too, except my typing arms wouldn't cooperate. LOL Nice chatting with you Randi. When I have more energy, I will know where to find you. [g]

Adam

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi,

I received a cutting of a 'Cowardly Lion' from a very generous begonia grower. I was surprised when I received so many offers to send me one.

Thank you all very much..
    Adam

• seaecho1
    19 years ago

Adam - I check HD all the time - their prices are basically the same as Lowe's. I look for orchids WHEREVER I go, that has a garden center. Streps bloom early, so I'm told. It should only be a few months from the time they are quite small seedlings. So mine probably isn't getting quite enough light. And yes. . . I HAVE to use pebble trays in this aridity! If I didn't I'm sure nothing would survive in 15% humidity. I mist every morning too. I wish I could have most of the smaller growing Alocasias (there aren't many) I like the Amazonicas a lot. They are a hybrid, I believe. But they do get bigger than my Black Velvet. My waxes are in a western exposure, but down low on my plant rack (on the bottom shelf) so they only get less than an hour of direct sun daily, and they seem to be very happy with that. How do you like your new Cowardly Lion? How exciting!

Randi

• susancarol
    19 years ago

If anyone's interested in really great begonias, check out Begonia9868 on Ebay. I've received nothing but the best from her this past season and they keep right on growing at my house. The last one I received was Cowardly Lion and it is awesome.

• Joyce
    18 years ago

I believe I am growing one...here are some pix:
    {{gwi:437259}}

{{gwi:437260}}

It's growing with Fire Flush and an Alsobia dianthaflora,
    in a big hanging basket, outside under a huge Norway Maple.
    {{gwi:437262}}

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Beautiful plants, Joyce! Thanks for posting.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994