Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with rooting a rhizomatous begonia

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a IL (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 8:30

I am wanting to root my rhizomatous begone that was given to me Monday. It was planted in a heavy dirt. It was wilting so I removed it this morning. Here are some pictures of what I have. Right now I have it in water.
 photo SSPX0001_zps7cdcadec.jpg
 photo SSPX0002_zpsde237056.jpg
 photo SSPX0003_zpse9e909da.jpg
 photo SSPX0005_zps1dc8f85a.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with rooting a rhizomatous begonia

Cut off the big leaves since they are doomed on the plant as is. You can save the leaves for rooting as well. Cut the stems to about an inch from the leaf surface.

A tray or small pot with a quality potting mix or perlite will be your best bet. Wiggle the cut rhizomes into the mix much like a bearded iris with the rhizome (root side) making good contact with the potting mix. Water in and place in a shaded area. If indoors you may need to cover the pot or tray with clear plastic to keep humidity high.

Do the same thing with the cut off leaves by pushing the stem of the cut leaf into the same media.

o
RE: Help with rooting a rhizomatous begonia

Another method I've started using this year are the Jiffy pellets. They work fairly quickly but I have reservations about the mesh liner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here