Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorenvt

What kind of begonia do I have?

lorenvt
12 years ago

Hello, I'm no expert, clearly, but this begonia has great sentimental value to me. I've had it going for over 10 years now year round although the latest is a cutting from the original (lost to powdery mildew)- I've had it both indoors and outdoors in Northern New England.

Can someone tell me what kind it is and whether it is supposed to grow in a sort of "cascade" as it did originally, or should I be staking this daughter plant upright?

I'm not sure how well the photos will show this, but the flowers (original only- cutting hasn't bloomed yet) are a beautiful deep orange color and the leaves are large and deep green.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

OK- I didn't see a way to load my photos here- and I don't have another website to link them to- I will try to figure this out and post back with a link to my photos- but if anyone has any ideas about my begonia from just the description and/or how to post photos in this begonia forum, that would be great.

Thank you.

Comments (3)

• lorenvt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK- I put the photos on Flickr- hope this link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia

• hc mcdole
    12 years ago

That is quite an unusual begonia you have. It reminds me a bit of a Reiger begonia but doubt it is that. The other one would be socotrana but the ones I saw have pinkish blooms.

Post this to the Yahoo begonia group. Someone there may be able to ID it.

• hannah82
    12 years ago

Hmm, I've never personally tried this but if you run out of avenues maybe you could consider forwarding the picture to the bradsbegonias.com website to see if he can offer any insight. He is an esteemed expert in the field of begonias and may be able to assist.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA