Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of begonia do I have?

Posted by lorenvt (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 12:17

Hello, I'm no expert, clearly, but this begonia has great sentimental value to me. I've had it going for over 10 years now year round although the latest is a cutting from the original (lost to powdery mildew)- I've had it both indoors and outdoors in Northern New England.

Can someone tell me what kind it is and whether it is supposed to grow in a sort of "cascade" as it did originally, or should I be staking this daughter plant upright?

I'm not sure how well the photos will show this, but the flowers (original only- cutting hasn't bloomed yet) are a beautiful deep orange color and the leaves are large and deep green.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

OK- I didn't see a way to load my photos here- and I don't have another website to link them to- I will try to figure this out and post back with a link to my photos- but if anyone has any ideas about my begonia from just the description and/or how to post photos in this begonia forum, that would be great.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of begonia do I have?

OK- I put the photos on Flickr- hope this link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia

o

That is quite an unusual begonia you have. It reminds me a bit of a Reiger begonia but doubt it is that. The other one would be socotrana but the ones I saw have pinkish blooms.

Post this to the Yahoo begonia group. Someone there may be able to ID it.

o

Hmm, I've never personally tried this but if you run out of avenues maybe you could consider forwarding the picture to the bradsbegonias.com website to see if he can offer any insight. He is an esteemed expert in the field of begonias and may be able to assist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here