Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tuberous begonias

Posted by chloecleome z6ny (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 12:56

In getting the house ready for the painter I took down a gorgeous pendulous begonia and it broke at the tuber with a little bit of root attached. Can I propogate from this? or from putting stems in water?Can you propogate from a tuber? or is it only possible from seed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tuberous begonias

Hi C. I've rooted them, how long is the piece that broke off? If long enough you might get two cuttings. Take a piece that has at least two leaf joints. Cut just below a joint, dust with no.1 rooting powder and plant in a moist, well draining potting mix, enclose it in a clear plastic bag and put it where it has good light or under a florescent light. I've also had some success rooting them in water in this case I've placed the cutting in a glass in only 1/2 inch of water, this was kept on the windowsill above the kitchen sink where I could easily keep an eye on it. I found the less water I had in the glass the better success I had.
You could possibly get a tip cutting and another from the piece with the root/tuber attached. If the leaves are big they can be cut back some. You will have to keep them growing right through the winter and the following growing season. They won't be really making much of a tuber until next fall, and then the tuber it makes will probably be quite small. I would also pinch the flowers off as they form, let all the strength go into making a tuber. Hope this is of some help.

A......

o

Thanks A. I have some hope. I just hope that the original tuber does well next year. It cost me a small fortune.
Chloecleome

o

Hi C, I know what you mean, I have a few B&L Begonias, Yellow Sweetie, Scarlet Pimpernel and Orange Cascade and I have started cuttings of these guys myself. You are right, they can be pricey :o).

A......

o

In all my silliness I collected seeds from my tuberous begonia's, has anyone tried this? What might I expect, if I start them in January in a green house what may I have in the spring/summer?? Thank you.

o

If the seed is viable and you have the patience you can expect some small blooming begonias in a few months. The key is patience and following good advice on the web (or books).

Try this site:

growing from seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here