Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decompost

Rex? Angel Wing? ~ A cross of both?

decompost
17 years ago

A new purchase, with no tag, alas. :-(

The folks at the nursery were no help with ID.

The growth habit is sort of tall and lanky.

{{gwi:437675}} {{gwi:437676}}

Comments (15)

• mocountryboys
    17 years ago

Try googling "little miss mummy" -- a cane-type (angelwing) that looks like a match to yours.

Nice plant, isn't it? Had some a few years back, but lost in a freeze.

HTH

Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: NC Farm's Info for it

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I don't think that's 'Little Miss Mummey' unless mine isn't, which is always a possibility. 'Little Miss' is more nearly solid, without the spots. That's a Mallet-type cane, but I'm not sure which one. Might be 'Maurice Amey'. Sure is gorgeous, isn't it?

• decompost
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you both for your replies.

I loved this little beauty as soon as I spotted it.
    I sure hope that I can bring it through the winter okay,
    I'm already rooting a cutting, just to hedge my bets ;^)

The photo at the NC Farm site sure does look right,
    but in continuing to search,
    I came across some descriptions of "Miss Mummy" that puzzled me.

One site (Blue Fox Farm) said this:
    " ÂLittle Miss Mummy' ~ White speckles against a black background.
    Great branching and topped off with white flowers. " color>

And a photo at an American Begonia Society site (see link below)
    seemed to corroborate that description.

I don't know Begonias well enough to know if growing conditions
    can create that much variation??

Off now to have a look at 'Maurice Amey' . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS photo

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

If I weren't so retarded I'd give you a link, but I found a very nice picture of 'Maurice Amey' on the pictorial listing of cultivars on the site of the Astro Branch. Took a little bit--I've usually just typed in 'abastro' but they thought I was asking for links about astronomy--did you know the Australian aborigines may have been the first astronomers? But by typing in the whole Astro Branch of the American Begonia Society, and then looking a bit, I found it. And they include the spelling of 'Little Miss Mummey' I used, with a 'not Mummy' note--I've seen it spelled both ways, but Brad Thompson, the hybridizer, spells it with an 'e' and he should know. Seems like a lot of people spell it the other way though. Maybe a silly point--probably no more important to the plant than it is to my cat when the receptionist at the vet misspells her name!--but I know I prefer to have MY name spelled right!

• joy4me
    17 years ago

Hi decompost;

I haven't seen this one before, so can't help. But it sure is pretty one!!! Congrats on finding it!! Don't blame you got hedging your bets either.

• decompost
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Don't feel bad, greenelbows, I'm not so swift with the technology either,
    so it's taken me a bit of time to find my way to that photo of "Maurice Amey".
    But the effort was well worth it, because that's GOTTA be it!
    Sincere thanks to each of you.

I'll drop in that link below ;^)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:437674}}

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

Check Kartuz as well for some pictures. Usually smaller pictures and less than ABASTRO, but still some pictures. I would go with GreenElbows on the ID of this one. A lot of retailers get the names wrong both on the ID (Little Miss Mummey instead of Maurice Amey) and spelling (Mummy instead of Mummey) . Look at Magdalene Madsen for example or Sophie Cecile. I've seen Magdalene spelled at least 3 different ways and Sophie and Sophia are used in the same database (ABASTRO for example). What's up with that?

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I've often wondered about that myself, Butch. One possibility for some, but not all, of it is the way labels get faded, so people guess at what that's supposed to say. And then people with holey brains, like mine, probably guess at what they half-remember. It's really a problem, tho'.
    Nancy

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure it is not "Little Miss Mummy" or "Mummey" because i have one. The underleaves are a translucent red/green, but the tops are opaque black. Dainty silver dots arrange themselves in cobbled rows on the crinkly leaves. The silver spots have an ever-so-slight pinkish hue instead of a seriously pink hue like the one in your photos. The spots are far less dense that the ones in your picture too.

Registered as "Little Miss Mummey" ABS R#979, cane Hybrid (Jumbo Jet x Amelia), bred by Brad Thompson in CA 1992. He named it after a friend whose maiden name was "Mummey" though the hybrid is often misspelled "Little Miss Mummy."

• gregsytch
    16 years ago

It is 'Maurice Amey', and although it appears mallet-like, it actually is a shrub. It is a cross between B. dipetala (thick-stem shrub) X a cane. It is mildew prone and enjoys warmth, bright light, and to dry out. I would spray with a fungicide monthly (like I do) and cut back slightly in March for bushy spring growth. PLEASE don't hesitate to ask me for help. I am the Amer Beg Soc Horticultural Correspondent (for 10+ years) and post a column in the Begonian magazine. Greg Sytch ABS Hort Correspondent gsytch@cs.com

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Wow, that is a beauty...

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

I wanted to jump in and say that I purchased this same plant back in the summer, also labeled as "Little Miss Mummy". I think there's a lot of sellers distributing this plant with that label, whether it's accurate or not. It is just about my favorite, aside from the mildew problems!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

This is what wholesalers are growing as "Miss Mummy" --

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Mummy at wholesalers

• User
    16 years ago

Little Miss Mummey from the collection of the person it is named for...

{{gwi:437677}}

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

Don_SoCal: I got mine from her. :)
    Sadly it didn't survive our latest move. Even sadder, I've lost touch. She invited me to see her beautiful garden many years ago when I was just starting to garden. She taught me a lot.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions