Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
floppy stalk on new york rex

Posted by nebraskagardener 4a, but really 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 14:06

Hi folks, I have my first rex begonia and so far so good, except it's got a long floppy stalk and wants to fall over. If it was an AV I would know what to do, but I don't with this. Any advice?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: floppy stalk on new york rex

Either brace it, stake it, cut it, or give it away. Just kidding about the 4th option.

I often use a huge rock in some of my pots to brace a begonia if it is "flopping over". A big rock also helps discourage digging squirrels (all kinds of tips here). It can also be used to weight a recently cut plant in the pot you want it to root in. Works quite well.

A stake works too but then you also need to tie the plant to the stake. Plus you have to usually cut the stake to size and why waste a good stake for a floppy begonia? You could try 2 bamboo skewers in an X shape to support it too. Bamboo skewers are cheap, disposable, and can be used as dibbles for starting cut leaves. The only downfall is they can mold in a very moist environment - I don't recommend these for terrariums due to that fact.

Cutting works as well - maybe not what you want to hear but at least you can start a new plant with the cut top. See how easy that is?

o
RE: floppy stalk on new york rex

Just to make sure, do you mean the rhizome is leaning, or the petiole of a single leaf? Don't think I've ever seen a Rex for sale that was big enough to lean from the rhizome, but that's not sayin' much, just a thought... and maybe someone gave it to you, IDK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here