Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phalnellie

Eyelash Begonia holes in leaves

phalnellie
18 years ago

Does water dropped on leaves make holes in leaves or burn life on African violets?

Comments (6)

• stallion
    18 years ago

This forum is about begonias. You are not in right. But for your question, the african violets don't support water on their leaves. They become rotten or have brown stains

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I've not had water burn holes in my beonias like they would on AVs, but I'm not sure it never happens. I grow mine outdoors most the year, and get the most holes from pine needles and pieces of pine cones the squirrels have been eating. Kinda interesting to see needles just going halfway through and sticking there. I also get occasional holes from slugs/snails when I neglect throwing around the Escar-Go. (Got that half for the name, but it really works.) Are yours inside and getting holes?

• hc mcdole
    18 years ago

I know what you mean about holes from pine needles especially on the thin leaved ones like 'Sinbad', 'Maurice Amey', and 'Benigo'. I have had a lot of damage from small catepillars on some of the hairy leaved ones like 'Art Hodes' and 'Boomer'. Also if fallen leaves from trees are allowed to sit on top of begonia leaves such as rexes, then holes may develop as well (is this from microbes, dry rot, lack of light, or what).

Water left on begonia leaves can cause damage if left in intense sun. It can also lead to fungus problems when the temps are cool.

Mine are outside and getting holes. (That doesn't sound very nice but what the heck).

• phalnellie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for addressing the water holes. Since I've been careful not to drop water on the leaves, I haven't had any more holes.

• JONas_WINslo
    11 years ago

I've not had water burn holes in my beonias like they would on AVs, but I'm not sure it never happens. I grow mine outdoors most the year, and get the most holes from pine needles and pieces of pine cones the squirrels have been eating. Kinda interesting to see needles just going halfway through and sticking there. I also get occasional holes from slugs/snails when I neglect throwing around the Escar-Go. (Got that half for the name, but it really works.) Are yours inside and getting holes?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

I realize this isn't the AV Forum, but AV leaves can be washed w/warm water, but left to dry before placing in the sun.

I doubt holes in Begonia leaves are from water. When Begonias are outside and get rained on, they leaves don't have holes.

Holes can be caused by insects, rabbits, etc.