Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonomazoneca

Spotted Angel Wing Begonia Losing Leaves

sonomazoneca
9 years ago

I have a lovely spotted angel wing begonia plant that I bought about 2 months ago along with a couple of other begonias to put in a large container on my deck. The weather has been warm, but the plants are in a spot with diffuse light--not direct sunlight. On really hot days, I have misted them (don't know if begonia's like that). I have been very careful not to over water them as I read they don't like super wet earth. Lately, I have lost a few branches to what looks like root rot most often (but not always) at the part of the stem coming out of the soil. Just one small section of the stem where the plant seems to turn brown and shrivel but the rest of the stem and the leaves look fine. At first, I thought I had re-potted them too low below the crown of the plant so that too much of the stems were in damp soil . I think this is a cane like begonia and I have one other, also in an angel wing shape with smaller pointed leaves and yellow flowers that is losing healthy leaves as well. The leaves look perfectly healthy--no discoloration, no bugs, no burned tips, no transparent spots, nothing. They're just falling off! Is this "normal" for Begonia's? Is the soil too damp? Should they be inside? I've always loved begonias but have NEVER been able to keep any of them alive indoors or out. So frustrating. ANY help is appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!