Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carrying over TB bulbs?

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 30, 06 at 15:29

I just got back into Tuberous Begonias this year and want to check on carrying over the bulbs (this is MN). I've just left them in the pot in past years with so/so success. In reading on container gardening I think my mix may be considerably on the heavy side so am thinking of unpotting the bulbs and carrying them over in bags with sawdust. The bloom rate is fading a bit tho still good. Should I A/ let them catch a light frost to kill back the foliage, B/ just cut off the tops dig the bulb now and let it sit a few days then into the sawdust, or C/slug the pots into the basement new til the top dies back, or D/ something else entirely? Realizing there are likely many approaches I'd appreciate your suggestions.
Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carrying over TB bulbs?

Most begonias won't wait for a frost to begin dying back. They will begin fading once the night temps begin falling below 40. Unless to get a quick snap freeze, just leave them until they begin showing the distress, then cut them off flush. Pull the tubers and shake as much dirt off as you can. If possible, leave them sit on top of the soil for a few days before bagging them. Do NOT place them in sealed bags, punch some holes in the bag for air circulation and sawdust works fine. Just be sure it isn't bone dry. Don't want it damp, just misted a bit.

o
RE: carrying over TB bulbs?

Just noticed here is a post similar to mine!

What kind of bags? Paper or plastic ? (Hmmm...where have I heard that before??)

I have no sawdust; how about perlite or vermiculite?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here