Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradarmi

Results of tuberous begonias in Midwest

bradarmi
11 years ago

Hello all:

I was just thinking if everyone had bad experiences this summer with tuberous begonias...

I have nearly 30 planted in a variety of pots and window boxes around the house (new house, so very little shade). Most were planted in an East facing direction, but were subject to wind, and the few in the west were shielded from the wind, but subject to heat... Guess, what - the West facing plants look 2x as good...! Go figure

Between the heat, the drought, the wind (SW/Central IL - think corn fields), and the sun I had about 8 flowers total on the plants. Just as they would get big enough to bloom the wind would "trim" them back. I was so discouraged, I brought a whole window box indoors and put it under the basement under grow lights, but the plants didn't like the dusty air (basement remodel) so out they went...

I can't wait to next year, but I am afraid my #1 size tubers wont generate enough growth since their growth was so restricted this year...

should i try to let them grow longer (away from frosts) or just let nature take its course and let dormancy come naturally in the next few weeks with the frost..?

thanks

Comments (2)