Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovejesus_gw

Begonia Seeds?

ilovejesus
17 years ago

Today I noticed a begonia plant given to me has went to seed. Can anyone tell me about these seeds there is a papery winged film i am assuming containing the seed? does anyone have a pic of begonia seeds? and how to care for them? Any info would GREATLY be appreciated!

God Bless You

Treva

http://www.freewebs.com/thankyoujesus/

Comments (7)

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

Sounds about right. The seed is very tiny - almost dust like. Let the seed pod dry to where it is just starting to crack open, then collect the seed pods. Surface sow on damp seed starting soil by sprinkling the seed, cover with glass or plastic wrap, keep under lights. This is fairly simple information. For a better explantation go to the following:

growing from seed

Hope this helps.

• kimbatwl61
    17 years ago

Brad's Begonia World also has a page about sowing begonias from seed in addition to plenty of other info about growing begonias. There's also a link to the American Begonia Society website. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brad's Begonia World

• zoee1957
    12 years ago

Most Begonia seeds are Hybrids and the male is generally sterile in this case. You can save all the seeds you want and try to germinate them, but the chances of you getting what you are after are not so good.

• hc mcdole
    12 years ago

A lot of folks just grow from seed for fun. I know I do. I'm not after anything special - if one happens to come up that wows my socks off then that would be great and if it doesn't then that is okay too.

• Woebegonia
    12 years ago

It is fun to grow from seeds. Many hybrids are selfed, though, and the seeds can be germinated. Past issues of the begonia society magazinewill show lists of hybrids selfed, and the progeny offered for sale(the only problem is they don't always use the warning that the progeny may not resemble the parent as much as one expects).

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

H, I visited the site you and Kim posted..sowing seeds.

Both are great sites...ironically, they have different methods, 'growing mediums.'

Because my B. luxurians never germinated, I decided to try again, (if at first you don't succeed) placed an order with the same person Woe and I ordered from before.
    This time I want to do it right! Seeds are in the fridge.

I'm still baffled finding/seeing/spreading seeds on mediums. lol. Seeds are like ash. Smaller than a pin head.

I have plant lights, but the rooms are kept very cool to cold. Would they do? Or do Begonias need heat to germinate.
    Both authors of these sites said seeds need light. Another problem.

I Love Jesus. Do you have a picture of your seedpods? I never saw a Begonia pod. If you have a pic can you post? Thanks much, Toni

• Woebegonia
    12 years ago

Bottom heat is helpful, especially this time of year.You could check and see what the temp is under the lights, for a guide. You can use the ballasts for heating. I think light is necessary but not strong light or algae might start.Isn't it interesting the different opinions we all have. Well, like Elda Haring used to say, horticulture is not an exact science . . . . Toni, my luxurians plant is about 4" tall, still has your name on it for spring, so don't worry too much. HEMC, did you see that gorgeous picture of B. 'Carousel' on the other site? To think it has been around for 39 years and I just 'discovered' it, others must want it as well, I see Kartuz has it but in limited supply. I am going to order next year, it is absolutely fabulous (which is also the name of my favorite comedy show, come to think of it). I love Christianity, it makes us try and be better.