Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do i trim a cane begonia ?

Posted by miss_daisy z7 (pssedg@peoplepc.com) on
Tue, Sep 25, 07 at 19:40

i guess it's a cane begonia , bloms deep pink, it grows taller, blooms, grows taller blooms, and on and on.....it's over 2 foot tall now.....the leaves are big, and they are falling off at the bottom, so about 6-8 inches of the plant from the bottom up is nothing but a stalk.

my question...

if i cut it back to say 6-8 inches tall, will it leaf back out ? and will it continue to bloom this year ?

thanks in advance for any advice given.

miss daisy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do i trim a cane begonia ?

You should be able to trim back almost to the ground and it should send new shoots out. I doubt it would bloom again this year but you never know. The safe thing to do is cut it back hard and propagate the tops either in water or some fresh potting soil. Water rooting is very easy - I stick some cuttings in a bud vase and place it on the kitchen windowsill for example.

Here is a good site for questions:

Brad's tips

o
RE: how do i trim a cane begonia ?

hcmcdole,,

thanks so much, i'll take a look see and write some things down.

miss daisy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here