Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rb2751

Bogenia Gryphon

rb2751
11 years ago

I bought a Begonia Gryphon a year ago. I�d never seen them before and I thought it was an absolutely beautiful plant. Over the winter I brought it into the house because the cold nights seemed to be too much for it. The leaves on the plant became sparser but I thought it would fill out again in the spring when I put it back outside. That has not happened. The main stalks are growing well but there are not as many leaves on it as when I first bought it. The plant is in shade most of the day with some filtered sunlight in the afternoon. I still have it in the original pot that I bought it in. Do these plants need to be repotted as they grow? Is there anything I can do to encourage leaf growth?

Comments (18)

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

More sun should help and repotting will probably stimulate it to put out new growth. You can cut off the leggy ones and root them in the same pot as well.

• mark4321_gw
    11 years ago

I am curious what part of the country you are in and what sorts of temperatures the plant saw when it seemed to be suffering. I have one of these, and it's outdoors right now in a heavily protected area that will likely never see frost. I am 25 miles south of San Francisco, and we are zone 9b (bordering on 10a, our extreme low every winter averages 29.6, barely pushing us into zone 9b).

I'm also curious if anyone knows (or can guess) whether this plant can be propagated by leaf cuttings. I almost posted on that. I've searched and searched, and found no info on propagating this plant.

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

You could try prop'ing with a leaf. They seem to be easy with just a stem cutting so I never tried a leaf.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I'm also in zone 9 (Houston) and at Hermann Park they have several planted outdoors at the Garden Center. Surprised me to see them there. They looked very good.

• rb2751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 9. We've had an incredibly hot summer this year. I've kept the plant out of direct sunlight over the summer but I think the intense heat discouraged some growth. The stalks are growing very nicely. I'm going to try repotting this weekend to see if that helps with leaf growth.

• norma_2009
    11 years ago

My Begonia Gryphon is dying, I have nursed it through the winter hoping it makes it till spring. I thought it might survive then. Now I doubt it. Does anyone know if I can save this somehow? This is as it was, I will post pic of it now.

This post was edited by norma_2009 on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 15:31

• norma_2009
    11 years ago

I am ashamed to post this picture, but this is my Gryphon now.
    Help!
    I only have it inside, and I have followed all the directions I have found and still she looks this way now, it makes me so sad.
    If I cut it all off is there hope for new growth?

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

Put it in a smaller pot with fresh potting mix and give it as much light as you can. I have 3 of mine under plain shop lights 12 hours a day and they are growing like weeds.

• JohnnieB
    11 years ago

My guess would be insufficient light. This is a begonia that requires very bright light and can take full sun, at least for part of the day. 'Gryphon' seems to like heat as well, so your indoor temperatures may have been too cool for it. You may also be keeping it too wet. Many begonias--especially in the winter--do best if allowed to dry out slightly between waterings.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I just rooted several stem cutting from mine - you might try that if you are worried that this one is a goner.

I used a mixture of pearlite and vermiculite in a clear plastic "clam shell" container, no rooting stimulator, under fluorescent light. Every one of them rooted up.

• mark4321_gw
    11 years ago

Mine has thrived outside in a cool, frost-free area (average temps Dec. through Feb. were 57/42). My camera is not working at the moment, but it looks the same as it looked last Fall.

Propagation by leaf cuttings is indeed possible, although not quick. This is how one looked a month ago, just as the plantlet appeared:

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

We're just coming out of winter. Most all of our begonias look that way. Once freezing/frost is out of the way, set it outside in partial sun and let spring do its thing. :)

11 years ago

Lowes in Jacksonville just got them in. I think they are $4.95 for a good size plant - maybe a 6" or 8" pot.

Carol in Jacksonville

• norma_2009
    10 years ago

This is pretty much the way she was all winter. Now she is reviving , so I think she will make it. Thank you all for your help.

• norma_2009
    10 years ago

Here it is now,She has a long way to go, but I am sure she will survive. She gets new leaves every day.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Looking good Norma.

Mine have also put on lots of new growth and I keep them under shoplights 13 hours a day It is about time to move them outdoors here..

10 years ago

Boy, both of your plants look great! Mine is starting to fill out, too. It gets about an hour of direct sun and lots of filtered sun every afternoon. Hap-hap-happy!

Carol in Jacksonville

10 years ago

How are your plants doing now? Looking waaaaaay better, I hope?!

Carol

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia