Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Begonia Bulbs

Posted by mary_or 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 22:49

I live in Portland, OR, Zone 8, and have begonias planted in a hanging container. Would the bulbs survive if I left them in the container, quit watering, and stored them in the garage? Or do I have to remove the bulbs from the soil? How do I then store the bulbs? Do I need to wash them?

Thanks for your advice.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Begonia Bulbs

Hi Mary, this is how I store my Begonia tubers for the winter. This is the time of year the tubers are increasing in size and storing energy for next year. I move my baskets under cover anytime now but they are still outside. The last couple of years I have been removing all the flowers and pinching the growing tips. I also give them a little potash.
When the plant starts to turn yellow it's time to dig the tubers and clean them up. Wash or brush all the soil off the tubers, remove any trace of the old stems, be sure to check the tubers for weevil damage. When the tubers are thoroughly dry store them in peat or shavings until next February when it's time to start them into growth again. Others will probably have different ways of preparing their tubers for winter storage, this is the way I do mine.

A......

o

Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I will be doing just that and hopefully the bulbs will return next year.

Mary

o

Mine are in the ground and still blooming, should I start pinching the flowers off and wait for them to yellow before digging them up?

o

If they were mine I would pinch all the flowers off and remove the growing tips, I would also water a little potash fertilizer in around them. Dig after the first frost, or dig leaving soil around the tubers, put in a flat somewhere under cover (out of the rain) to die down. This is the time of year the tubers increase in size, so every little bit helps. Others might do it differently, this is what I do with mine.

A......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here