Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tondajoe

Angel Wing Begonia bloom?

tondajoe
9 years ago

Hi All! I know this may seem as a silly question to some but I am wondering if these "sprouts" are blooms or just new leaves? The only reason I ask is all my other new leaves have sprung up at the top of the cane (terminology?) and these sprouts are scattered from middle to top of a good majority of the canes. I have tried to search for images of beginning blooms but unfortunately have come up empty. I am hoping the experts can help with this. Again, sorry if it seems like a no brainer question I guess my brain just isn't working today.
Side note: I was given the AWB as a gift from a gal at work whose mother passed away, I know she was very much a plant person and assumed she had this plant for awhile. In the 5 years I have had it, it has never bloomed. But it seems to be thriving under my care. It sits outside and gets good morning to early afternoon sun and I do try to keep the soil moist and it never let it dry out.
Thanks bunches
Tonda

Comments (13)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

No, they're just potential branches.

• tondajoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, thanks dbarron. That's what I was afraid of. I guess just wishful thinking part. Any advice for trying to get it to bloom? Are there varieties that don't bloom?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

From all I have ever seen, something must be wrong with your culture (lighting most likely), because angel wings usually bloom during the summer (outside) quite freely.

• tondajoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Summer is coming to an end in Nebraska so I will be moving her indoors soon. I will try a different spot next year and fingers crossed, maybe get her to bloom.
    Thanks again!

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

That may be one of the "shy" bloomers you have (can't tell because I can't see the entire leaf). Lots of light and fertilizer may help it bloom next year. Some begonias can bloom indoors under light so try some other varieties as well.

Here is one I recently bought in bloom and is a very shy bloomer. B. 'Sophie Cecile' While I already have this begonia I never saw it bloom in 30+ years. The nursery I got this big one from had their plants in very bright light (greenhouse) and were quite huge (this was the smallest of the 3 they had when I visited 3 weeks ago).

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Wow...sophie is beautiful in that photo :)

I have to admit, with only a few exceptions, all my angel wings were pass alongs...and all have bloomed lovely and easily.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

I bought most of my canes but also have some pass alongs. Most are blooming now but not as full as they used to bloom - probably need to be repotted and put in more sun.

Here is Esther Albertine and Silvermist blooming together (last week).

• tondajoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any idea as to which variety mine is? Maybe if I can pinpoint the variety I can make some changes at home to help it bloom.
    Tonda

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Looks like Sophie (maybe Pagoda). I don't think it is Lana.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

You have a lovely plant at least. I'm going to make a wild guess that higher light levels might help...but I don't know...and you don't want to burn those lovely leaves.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

If you wanted to move it to higher light do it over a period of a couple of weeks unless you don't mind the current leaves being burned (they would soon be replaced).

Higher light will give the plant more vigor as will fresh soil and fertilizer. Here is a pot I moved some canes to earlier this summer and they get morning and late afternoon sun.

• tondajoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow what a beautiful plant! I may try that. The window that it will get moved to when we make the move indoors gets full afternoon sun, so hopefully that helps. I'm not a fan of the leaves burning but I know they will quickly grow back. Would cutting it back have anything to do with it not blooming? I did cut it back a bit at beginning of the summer.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Cutting it back might delay blooming. Most can bloom in their first season from a cutting while others may take longer.

I don't have a name for the one I am posting now but it always blooms nice in summer. It is light red/pink in shade and a darker red in sun. I thought it was closest to Mary Ann Flunker...

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus