Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the ID of the Begonia in this painting?

Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 1:11

I'm curious what the ID is of the Begonia in the painting "Woman with Plants" by Grant Wood. Wood is the painter best known for "American Gothic". I'll give a link to the full painting at the bottom.

Here's the Begonia in the painting:

Begonia from Woman with Plants

Note that the leaves are large compared to the size of her hands. So they look 6 inches, maybe, across (?) I did a little searching, and the closest thing I found was Begonia hydrocotylefolia (at least some pictures of this species, while others (Kartuz photo) have markings that make it look different). However, my impression is that that species would be significantly smaller than what is depicted in the painting.

If someone grows whatever the species/hybrid depicted in the painting, I could to send a rooted cutting of either Begonia luxurians or Impatiens namchabarwensis (blue Impatiens) in exchange for an unrooted cutting. I could send both for an rooted cutting. Or I could substitute other things if those are not of interest.

If someone can ID this Begonia I would be happy to send one of those rooted cuttings in exchange for postage.

I just received a beautiful division which traces back to the original Sanseveria owned by the woman in the painting (the artist's mother). Unless it's a hybrid, I assume the Begonia clone may be lost. However, it would still be fun to track down whatever plant it is.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the ID of the Begonia in this painting?

The link was strangely missing. I'll list it below, as well as try again, without quotes.

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/grant-wood/woman-with-plants-1929

Here is a link that might be useful: Missing link

o

Could this not just be an old beefsteak begonia?

o

Odyssey3,

I bet you are right.

It would be a commonly available species or hybrid at that time (1929). An heirloom, even back then, in the original sense of the word.

It seems a good match, within the limits of "artistic license". Perhaps the leaves in the painting are a little more spiraled, or the veins a little longer. Maybe? The Sansevieria itself seems a bit stylized.

Also, the Beefsteak Begonia is Begonia 'Erythrophylla', or B. hydrocotylifolia x B. manicata. So maybe I saw something of the B. hydrocotylifolia parent in the hybrid?

Unless someone has inside knowledge about the plants that Hattie Wood grew, I will be surprised if anyone can get closer.

If anyone has any other or better guesses I would of course love to hear them. Odyssey3, I certainly consider this a good enough guess, and if you are interested in something for postage I could send it. I will contact you. If someone comes up with a clearly better answer I could do the same.

So if this seems to be right and someone has the "true" beafsteak Begonia, B. 'Erythrophylla', please contact me. I notice that Peppers/Accents for Home and Garden also sells it at a good price. I've done business with them before and was very pleased. So if nobody has it I will contact them or check the listings on the "other" garden forum.

Begonia 'Erythrophylla' at Peppers:

http://site.mawebcenters.com/accentsforhomeandgarden_1/catalog_i12984577.html?catId=292134

This photo from Pepper's is useful for making the comparison:

http://site.mawebcenters.com/accentsforhomeandgarden_1/_images//Begonia_beefsteak_flower.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: A photo I found online of B. 'Erythrophylla' from the Houston area Begonia Society

o

Hi Mark4321,

The more I think about it, the more I would bet it is Erythrophylla. I got your e-mail and just replied. I finally got a break from taking all my plants in so they don't meet Sandy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peace Tree Farms Erythrophylla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here