Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering fibrous begonias

Posted by billhiggs 6A (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 8:51

I have a bunch of fibrous begonias I would like to overwinter but dont have window space for,

any suggestion how I can overwinter them?

I do have a frost free unheated crawl space if that would help?

Thanks

zone 6a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering fibrous begonias

It will be tricky in the crawl space, they would still need fresh air and light.

o

Although they are perennial here, they do go dormant, then regrow again in the spring. As long as it's cold but not freezing, I think the crawl space would work. I've done this for bulbs like Canna, elephant ear (Colocasia,) and Gladiolus. A dormant plant doesn't need light, keep almost bone dry.

o

Sounds like you have given it a lot of thought, seems worth a try.

o

It sounds like they're goners if Bill doesn't try this. That's usually the motivator behind overwintering experiments. They're certain to die without some kind of action.

Bill, if you have some other plant you could relegate to the crawl space to make room for one of these, it should continue blooming the whole winter. I put mine in a south window. Maybe hanging a pot or two would help you out, to use space above other plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here