Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Growing Escargot outside

natalie4b
16 years ago

I am wondering if I can grow Escargot outside in my zone 7b-8, and how? Do I bring it home to overwinter? Leave it in the ground?

Thanks!

Natalie

Comments (4)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

If you want to test its limits, then leave it outdoors but I don't think it would make it. Best bet is to bring it indoors for winter (and provide a humid environment).

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like my plants alive and well, so I will bring it home to overwinter. Begonias are my new interest these days, so I am rather clueless about their care. I saw them in someone's yard once while on a garden tour, and was wondering if these people just treated them as annuals, or the plants survive the cold.
    Thanks Hcmcdole!
    ~Natalie

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Welcome to the exciting world of begonias. Getting them through winter is an exasperating phase but well worth it once you learn what it takes.

There are a couple of hardy ones but for the most part begonias are tender perennials - bring them in for winter. Some zones can grow them outdoors despite an occasional frost but in N. GA (Atlanta area) it is best to protect them from several weeks of freezing temps.

At our last house I had a greenhouse where a few nights it got down to freezing or below a few nights. Most begonias made it through fine (some perished) but then there was no frost on the leaves. At our new house I left them outside into early Nov a couple of years ago and had severe damage on the ones in the front yard (no tree cover). The ones in the back yard under trees had very little damage if they had any.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Few years ago I planted some in my garden, and several survived and bloomed the next season.
    They are gorgeous plants, and I would definitely like to add the Escargot to my home collection.
    Getting a plant addiction is such an easy thing - I think we all suffer from it. I enjoy the "suffering" though :-).
    It must be nice to have a greenhouse. In a winter time I would probably spend every opportune moment there.
    Natalie