Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
id please

Posted by sorie6 6b ok. (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 12:17

Is this a begonia? A lady having a garage sale was kind enough to share a slip of it with me and now I don't know what to do with it? I've got it in water but I don't know if the black things are roots (never seen any like it) Should I put it in dirt or let it get more roots? Will one of the stems root if I cut it off the main tuber if that's what it is. Sorry but I don't have a clue!! I'll post another pic dont' know how to post more than one.Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: id please

top of leaf Thanks.

o

last one

o

It is a begonia! I'm too new at begonias to give good advice, but I believe that you have some roots and a rhizome there and probably should remove that from the water lest it rots. I would go ahead and plant it in soil and water it when the soil dries, and hopefully it will take off and grow nicely. I could be wrong though, and hopefully someone else will chime in!

o

If the black things were roots they aren't anymore. Looks like they rotted or they are rotting petioles. Take it out of the water to begin with and remove any rot. Put some good potting mix or even pure perlite in a pot or the same cup (with holes drilled in the bottom). Do not use "dirt". Wiggle the rhizome in to where the top half is exposed to the air (much like an iris rhizome). Cover with a plastic lid or a baggie to raised the humidity. Place under lights or filtered sunlight. It should root in a couple of weeks.

You can do the same thing with any cut leaves. Trim the petiole to about an inch and wiggle it into the potting mix up to the leaf surface. Give this ample time to root and send up babies.

o

Thank you. I've never had one so didn't know what to do!

o

It is Begonia Cleopatra

o

It does appear there are some fine roots, but water roots are different than soil roots. I would advise taking it out of water, allowing it to dry for like 10 mins, then potting in a LIGHT mix in a pot barely large enough to accommodate the rhizome and roots. Allow it to dry slightly, and when it is rootbound, you can step it up slowly - size by size. Be CAREFUL on the watering, and bright light suits it best (unless you are in Tampa Bay like me, wherein I grow under shade outdoors all year), Greg Sytch ABS Horticultural Correspondent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here