Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small tuberous begonias from seed--allow dormancy?

Posted by elizabethaw zone 5 SE WI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 12:33

Hi folks!

I usually start tuberous begonias from seed, but this year all of my seedlings were exceptionally small. (I still don't know what happened, but that's another story!) Anyway, I have 8-10 tiny baby tuberous begonias that have just started blooming. I doubt they have much of a tuber yet, so I'm thinking about trying to keep them growing. Has anyone done that? One of them is the most gorgeous pale yellow, and I'd really like to keep it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small tuberous begonias from seed--allow dormancy?

I am wondering where you live that you still l have blooming tuberhybrida. If your lighting system is good you can carry them/it over there but you will need the lights on more than 12 hours, they need long days to resist going dormant, and thet tuber, if any is produced, will be small. I thihk the commercial growers leave seedlings in their big growing fields for 2 or three years or more, not disturbing growth = I think that is how they have such large ones for sake,

o

Ah hah! Day length controls dormancy. That makes sense. I do have a fluorescent light set-up in my basement.

We just started having frosts this week--which is pretty late for us. Usually the first frost is the first week of October.

o

so when do you bring your begonias in? at what temps?
we're getting 40F at nite now, my non-stops are still blooming outside without any sun at all. i read that they will continue to bloom until frost. but i actually want to bring them indoors to see if they'll continue to grow and may be even overwinter.
i don't want the foliage to decline. can they stand mid to hi 30s?

o

Woebegonia-- mine are still blooming too :) They live in total shade. I think they must be getting maybe 11 hours of light total-- as in sunrise to sunset-- even though none of it is actual direct sunlight. :)

o

I don't know how they stand the mid-thirties. I start letting mine dry out about Labor Day.Some growing instructions used to say 'lay the pot on its side', I could never figure that out, thought it might be some form of tropism. . .However I finally ran across some instructions which said 'lay the pot on its side so the fall rains can't get in and start regrowth', Oh that was so funny, I never would have figured that out because we don't have much fall rain. Well, we all have different environments which is why figuring out how to do things can be frustrating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here