Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom8olvr_gw

UPDATE: Dragon Wing Cuttings

tom8olvr
16 years ago

UPDATE: Dead Dead Dead... Only a memory...

Pictures of my mother plants all I have left... :(

{{gwi:429242}}

{{gwi:7851}}

{{gwi:429245}}

Comments (13)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

All of your cuttings died? Maybe you can still dig up some roots from your driveway - they may be okay.

• gregsytch
    16 years ago

Cuttings prefer a well-drained light mix. You might want to try 1/2 perlite and 1/2 vermiculite, moistened and places in strong shade conditions - bright without sun. Never use a cutting that buries a bloom node or it will not branch well. A bloom node is dark, depressed where clusters bloomed from. Look lower in the plant for non-bloom nodes! Greg Sytch ABS Horticultural Correspondent

• kioni
    16 years ago

NO WAAAY!? Your cuttings didn't root??? How is that possible? I have to figure out how to post pictures. I hacked the base of my babywing into chunks, all with some roots attached that I'd also administered a hair cut to, and they've bounced back wonderfully. Dang it though, all the branches are producing blooms (they are indoors in a south window), but I will let grow as I have room, and wait till spring, and cut back and see if I get new growth branching out from below. Too bad tomato-lover, although maybe you'll happen upon something you'll enjoy even more for that bed next year?

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Loved the red dw... who knows may be I'll try the bwings? I have a few months to figure it out and mull. Thanks to all.

Tom8o

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Okay, Tom, what are bwings?

• kioni
    16 years ago

I can answer this one, not meaning to step on your toes tom8lvr. Tom means Baby Dragon Wings. They are similar to the regular, but the leaves are smaller, and the stems don't seem to arch as much (because the blooms are smaller and less so less weight I think?).

Here's a photo of someone else's, I'm in zone 3 so mine did not get as big but boy oh boy they are cute!

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Wing Pink

• dkotchey
    16 years ago

Tom8olvr,

Last year I dug up my dragon wings after they had been frosted and turned black. I potted them up and brought them inside and low and behold they came back. I brought them out in the spring and they were just huge this year. Try digging some up and see what happens. You never know!

• dkotchey
    16 years ago

Tom8olvr,

Last year I dug up my dragon wings after they had been frosted and turned black. I potted them up and brought them inside and low and behold they came back. I brought them out in the spring and they were just huge this year. Try digging some up and see what happens. You never know!

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Kioni - I've not been real good at checking this site. Contempating them catalogs already!

I actually pulled up my dragon wings - I planted bulbs (another forum all together! ha!) so I wanted to get the annuals up. I DID keep one bed full of them - but got my FIRST frost last night (unheard of in Z 5 MA on November 7th!). I may just try your suggestion DKotchey - if not... I'll bite the bullet and buy the seeds again.

Thanks all!

• kioni
    16 years ago

Tom; you should try it with one plant, hack it up into several stemmed chunks (chunk of bottom stump with some roots and 2 or 3 upper stems from this years growth)...because the chunks I made (I know, it sounds like I'm talking about vomit, but I'm not!) are now showing evidence of lower branching and some new stems coming from below the soil line. So experiment with one, see how big it gets (so you can gauge how many of these you'd have room for next winter), and see how it performs against the seed grown beauties next year.
    I will post again in the spring and summer to let whomever is curious know just how my cuttings turned out.

Talk to you again,
    Kioni.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another update:

Every year for Earth day or Easter - I give everyone I work with a potted plant (MY begonias)... WELL, someone here at work CUT some of their begonia and low and behold the dang thing rooted!

Another has one that has got to be 3 feet tall - it's hilarious... (in pots)...

Anyway, the line is not dead completely! :)

I DO think I'll start them again from seed - they were DEFINITELY worth the long wait...

Thanks Kioni. We'll be talking again soon... :)

• bellarosa
    16 years ago

Tom8olvr,
    How long do DW begonias take to grow from seed?
    -bellarosa

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BellaRosa - They're in the house approximately 4 months... They don't do well in the house... they peeter a long... once outside they take off. it takes another several weeks for them to bloom... but I feel it's worth it.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals