Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
B. Escargo (help for my mom)

Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 16:28

Just received this from email my mom (who lives in central NJ):

"Subject: Escargo begonias

A favor: I love these and can't keep them alive for more than 5 months - if I'm lucky. I looked on-line for their care, and besides stating how easy they are to grow, I see conflicting advice concerning watering and sun. They seem to agree on the need for humidity, but what can I do about that? I have them on the porch in the summer, and on a windowsill in the winter: it doesn't matter, they die where ever they are. Do you know anyone who can help?
Love..."

Can you help me to be a better daughter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: B. Escargo (help for my mom)

Escargot (with a T on the end - French snail) is a finicky begonia. Does wonderful in summer outdoors but eventually goes into a nose dive indoors and dies. The only one I've been able to keep alive for the last two winters is in a terrarium full time. This will keep it on the small side unless you have a big terrarium but at least it is living and thriving.

Apparently it needs a lot more humidity indoors than most other begonias. Yet it seems to be the one that attracts a lot of attention from first time begonia buyers which kind of leaves a sour taste in potential future begonia buyers.

Here is my sole Escargot (I lost the two big ones this past winter). It is in a big acrylic ice bucket with a salad bowl lid.

o

Lid off.

o

What a well grown Escargot should look like (at least in summer). RIP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here