Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A bittersweet begonia story

Posted by softfurn z7LI,NY (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 24, 04 at 17:04

Every year my good friend and I compare notes on when we are starting our tuberous begonias, and how we dry and store them. We each do it differently. Her tubers are about 8 years old, and they are between 4 -6" in diameter. This year they grew to about 4' tall. These plants were mamouth size. My friend has only 6 months to live and has given me her begonias since she will not make it another season to see them flourish.I have many plants in my garden that have been given to me which bring up memories....the oregano I got as a new house gift for my first garden. A house guest stuck a sedum in when I wasn't looking, and I discovered it a year later. Plants I've gotten as cuttings and pass alongs from friends.... but none will be as special as these begonias when they rebloom every summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A bittersweet begonia story

I'm very sorry that you're losing your friend, but the plants will be a lovely reminder of your friendship. Please take some pictures of the blooms next summer, if you can, and post them here. We would love to see them.

Elizabeth

o

I, too, am sorry for your impending loss, and hope to see photos next summer.

I still support some spider plants that I adopted 28 years ago when their caretaker, a woman whose office was down the hall from mine at university, suddenly was diagnosed with and died of acute leukaemia. Although I didn't know her well, I think of her often as I care for the plants.

o

Softfurn, indeed plants are wonderful reminders of our dear loved ones. I have several plants from my sister's garden in which I shall always cherish. Most particular is a lovely sport of a rose that Janet had discovered in her garden ... I've thus named it in her honor. My sister was only 39 when she passed due to cancer. Thank you for sharing your story ... I entend my sympthies to you.

Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here