Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew

Posted by joielu n.y. zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 17:39

Two of my favorite Gardening places had quite a problem with mildew this year. The one place has the most beautiful Begonias I have ever seen. It lifts your spirits just to walk into the Greenhouse, but this time I was soooo saddened by what I found. Most of the plants were dead. He said they were hit with mildew so he just stopped watering them. That probablly saved some of them. I offered to save what I could and he told me to take them. I wound up with 18 hanging baskets that I am trying to save. I have asked around and have gotten various answers as to what to do to save them. So far I have cut off all the mildewed leaves I have found. Presently they are outside and will have to be brought inside soon. What do I do next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew

Sadly this is the time for mildew to hit. With cool air and moist air and soil the conditions are ripe for mildew attacks. Look through some old posts on this forum about mildew and you will see many ideas on this problem. Definitely cut off bad leaves, let the soil dry out quite a bit, give good air circulation, spray with fungicides, and if you can give them a warm, well lit environment they should succeed. I battle this each year and wonder if the best thing to do is bring them indoors before cool weather hits.

o
RE: Mildew

Mildew is easy to control. Just use a fungicide labeled for mildew and spray weekly. Keep in a area that gets good air movement and remove all debris affected. Mildew thrives in cool temps, so if you can, find a warmer area. Preventitive spraying will not allow mildew to start next time. I spray monthly in my vast collection and I almost never have it, even with those famous attractors like 'Sinbad', 'Arabian Sunset' and U062. Greg in HOT New Port Richey FL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here