Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Rex Begonias with questions

Posted by Benko Western PA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 18:27

I'm about a year new to houseplants and had some good luck with a few easy growing plants. I couldn't resist buying the one you see in the attached pic at whole foods. I live in 9th floor apt with large east facing windows.

Questions:

1. I've read that Rexs like humidity but not being directly misted. Do they need extra humidity even in the fall/winter? Does placing the pot on some pebbles which are in water really do anything?

2. I've read that Rexs like strong indirect light. Is direct light 4' away from east facing window close enough?

3. Anything else I should know? Oh and if anyone knows the name of this particular kind of Rex, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time!.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Rex Begonias with questions

Most plants like some humidity but rexes should do fine with normal air. If you burn wood then you may want to add some moisture (more for your own comfort than the plant's).

Good light helps but not all that necessary either. My daughter's rex survived and thrived in a dim area of her dining area for a couple of years. (Go figure) Let the plant tell you what it likes and doesn't. I keep most of mine under shop lights in the basement but have also had them on a baker's rack in the kitchen right next to a south facing window. If I feel like it is too hot then I turn the blinds up to deflect some of the sun but I don't think it hurts the plants either.

Do be aware that rexes often go into a semi-dormancy in winter so don't worry if they drop all their leaves - DO NOT keep the soil wet if this happens. Don't let it dry out completely either (they don't go into full dormancy like a bulb).

Rexes also are susceptible to mildew in cooler temps. Spray the leaves with some kind of anti-fungal treatment if you see small spots appear. Mildew shouldn't kill the plant but can make it very unsightly.

o

They're very adaptable. I've got most of my rhizomatous ones in a south window since last month; I was worried that was too much sun and was prepared to use a sheer curtain but no need; everybody's putting out new growth. I've also got one poor soul at work under dim light and he's hanging on, not growing much, but hanging on just fine.

o

What a beautiful plant, hope it does well!

o

I have Rex's for trade if anyone is interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here