Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watering how much water

Posted by nikkicasarez 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 19:27

I have my begonias in a 8in pot how much water should I give them? should I keep them moist or dry ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watering how much water

That depends on a lot of things. What kind of soil, what kind of begonia, weather conditions, etc. A general rule of thumb is to let them dry out "some" between watering but water well when you do. Some begonias seem to prefer never drying out (Soli-mutata for one) while some prefer it on the dry side (San Miguel seems to rot easily if kept wet). In winter while indoors you will probably want to keep them a bit drier than summer outdoors (once wet, they may not dry out quick enough indoors).

Make sure the pot size is not too big for your plants either.

o

Absolutely on the pot size! Never overpot them. Begonias all prefer some drying, except for the terrarium types. How dry is a matter of soil quality. Always include good drainage and use a light soil. Too heavy = death for sure, which is why many perish. During winter, they require less of everything unless you live in Tampa Bay, like I do, and begonias grow like crazy all year long, outdoors. Keep light levels strong (never full sun unless you live here etc..) Greg Sytch AB S Horticultural Correspondent

o

What kind of Begonia do good in Michigan Thank you!

o

Hi Debra,

You might want to start a new thread with a good subject line so you get more answers to your question. I suppose almost any kind of begonia should do well in Michigan if you treat it like they want to be treated. Was there any particular ones you are interested in? Rex, tuberous, canes, rhizomatous, etc?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here