Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how much shade can it tolerate?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 19:37

I have a corner garden which has an arc as its front border.

For the past several years I have used only shade or only New Guinea Impatiens for the border (along the arc) but this past summer I saw (in other people's gardens) more impressive borders consisting of some.... (semperflorens?) begonia. I would love to make the jump to this next summer but my border experiences varying amounts of sun ie from shade to dappled sun to part sun.

How much shade can such begonias tolerate and flourish?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how much shade can it tolerate?

Depends on the begonia and the amount of shade you are talking about. Some begonias will do well in shade but may not bloom while others will simply fade away and die. Only way to find out is try it.

o

So I take it most 'garden variety' (semperflorens) begonia require more sun than a shade impatiens?

o

Lots of people put semps in full sun in our area (Atlanta) which is usually a big mistake because they bake in the hot, dry sun - maybe if they were watered daily they'd do okay. Too much shade though may grow the biggest leaves but I don't know how the blooms would be. If you have dappled sunlight then they should do great.

o

Are you talking about Wax Begonias? Leaves are green or purple?
They thrive in full sun. In fact, they need the very brightest light bloom. They'll do okay in shade, but can grow spindly, and might not flower as fluently if in too shady a spot.

When I plant Wax Begonias in front, they get direct west, south and north light. Toni

o

I d on't know of any purple leaf wax begonias - maybe bronze leaf.

In the south you don't want to plant wax begonias in full sun - lots of folks do, but they eventually look like crap. Maybe in the north they can be planted in full sun without a lot of fanfare. Maybe if they kept them watered every other day then they would look good but most look like they need to be yanked out and replaced with something else by mid June.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here