Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me ID?

Posted by julianna 7bAR (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 20:57

I am getting this in trade (yay! awesome trader!!) and I think it may be B. maculata. I was looking at the straight edges of the leaves, the spots, the form, and the blooms. The trader stated that the blooms range from lighter to darker depending on the season, and that the plant gets up to about 4ft tall or so. (This is her photo, and I asked permission to use it.) Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me ID?

Not maculata. A better view of the leaves may help. Right now I'd say it is a common hybrid of coccinea.

o

That was my first thought, but then all the coccinea hybrids I looked at had some wavy edges to the leaves and maculate was smooth like these. When I get the cuttings, I'll post a pic of a leaf.

o

Here is maculata - it has dark leaves with big dots and white blooms.

o

Here is the full plant.

o

and a superior plant I grew from seed collected from the maculata above. (I say superior because it is a very strong grower and the maculata is on its last legs).

o

Beautiful! I love your "superior" one-- I like that kind of spacing and such with the blooms and the white blooms are just great. I am hoping to acquire a white-bloomed cane at some point.

I saw B. maculata "wightii" and others with the white blooms, but some pictures of B. maculata had pink or deep pink blooms. I wonder if maybe they are mislabeled then. Hmm.

OK, so it seems B. coccinea hybrid is the ID :) Those smooth leaf edges seem somewhat distinctive based on the other photos I've seen, but I don't really know. I'd totally defer to your judgment! Is it common to have that smooth, cupped edge?

o

I have not seen any pink blooming maculata but there are many hybrids of it as well. Maybe you saw Flamingo Queen.

I have no idea if yours is a coccinea hybrid but most are described that way (coccinea var. hort.) I'd like to see the "real" coccinea stand up and take a bow.

Here is one of my "coccinea var. hort." canes. I have had several seedlings over the years that have some different traits but not enough to give them a lot of merit.

o

Very pretty! Ok, I think it's settled :) Thank you SO SO much Hcmcdole!

o

Hcmcdole,

The more I'm sitting here and thinking about it, the more I thought I just want to say you have a stunning collection. I'm sure you've been at this for years and years. You're a wonderful asset to the forum. Thank you for taking the time to work with people like me who probably ask the most irksome of questions. :)

As I search for old messages on plants I'm interested in, I am forever running across your posts about them. They are a huge help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here