Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

Help me ID?

chloeasha
10 years ago

I am getting this in trade (yay! awesome trader!!) and I think it may be B. maculata. I was looking at the straight edges of the leaves, the spots, the form, and the blooms. The trader stated that the blooms range from lighter to darker depending on the season, and that the plant gets up to about 4ft tall or so. (This is her photo, and I asked permission to use it.) Any thoughts?

Comments (13)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Not maculata. A better view of the leaves may help. Right now I'd say it is a common hybrid of coccinea.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That was my first thought, but then all the coccinea hybrids I looked at had some wavy edges to the leaves and maculate was smooth like these. When I get the cuttings, I'll post a pic of a leaf.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Here is maculata - it has dark leaves with big dots and white blooms.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

Here is the full plant.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love your "superior" one-- I like that kind of spacing and such with the blooms and the white blooms are just great. I am hoping to acquire a white-bloomed cane at some point.

I saw B. maculata "wightii" and others with the white blooms, but some pictures of B. maculata had pink or deep pink blooms. I wonder if maybe they are mislabeled then. Hmm.

OK, so it seems B. coccinea hybrid is the ID :) Those smooth leaf edges seem somewhat distinctive based on the other photos I've seen, but I don't really know. I'd totally defer to your judgment! Is it common to have that smooth, cupped edge?

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

I have not seen any pink blooming maculata but there are many hybrids of it as well. Maybe you saw Flamingo Queen.

I have no idea if yours is a coccinea hybrid but most are described that way (coccinea var. hort.) I'd like to see the "real" coccinea stand up and take a bow.

Here is one of my "coccinea var. hort." canes. I have had several seedlings over the years that have some different traits but not enough to give them a lot of merit.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very pretty! Ok, I think it's settled :) Thank you SO SO much Hcmcdole!

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hcmcdole,

The more I'm sitting here and thinking about it, the more I thought I just want to say you have a stunning collection. I'm sure you've been at this for years and years. You're a wonderful asset to the forum. Thank you for taking the time to work with people like me who probably ask the most irksome of questions. :)

As I search for old messages on plants I'm interested in, I am forever running across your posts about them. They are a huge help.

• Macarena RT
    6 years ago

hello hc mcdole(z7),

I really love this plant (Begonia wightii) and i am looking everywhere in internet where to buy seeds.. cannot find a place yet! Please would you be so kind to let me know where you found your seeds? Thank you so much! Macarena

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Hi Macarena,

I bought the plant from PHOE years ago. The seeds were gathered off of it.

When I get some more seed off of my hybrids (and hopefully the remaining maculata) I would be glad to share some.

I think this plant is probably maculata x maculata that is looking pretty good in one of my pots.

This is one of two remaining maculata plants that I still have left.

There is a little variation between the two but pretty close?

And finally the one I called superior 4 years ago I have since named Butch's Mac and given several to our local members and a couple of cuttings to a grower in Florida.

Here it is two years ago at the Florida nursery. (They just have the best growing conditions - lots of bright Florida sun in big commercial greenhouses)

• Macarena RT
    6 years ago

Hi hc mcdole(z7)!

Thank you so much for your reply! You have really beautiful Maculatas! i look forward to having some of the seeds!!

• timhensley
    6 years ago

Gorgeous clone there hc mcdole.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996