Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coyle_gw

can begonias be perennials in FL with care?

coyle
14 years ago

and if so what size pot can I keep them in? I have a pot holder for a.violets that holds 9 4" pots, could I put them in that permanently?

Comments (6)

• hc mcdole
    14 years ago

All begonias are perennials - tender perennials so you can keep them as long as you don't let them freeze to death (this is only one form of death). Being in zone 9 FL you should be able to plant most in the ground despite a frost or two without a lot of fanfare. Begonias are fairly tough but won't stand up to a lot of freezing weather so they must have some winter protection (greenhouse, house, garage, etc).

As for 4 inch pots, it depends on what begonias you are talking about. They range from very small (leaf size less than 1/2 inch) to very large (some begonia leaves are over 2 feet across). Nothing is permanent in a pot either - they must be divided from time to time and given some fresh soil as well. Some repot every year for example.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Many species are grown with ease as yard plants at least in 9/10. Though cold is a problem heat is MUCH more of a problem. I usually grow Begonias as winter annuals in my area. The dwarf semper florens are excellant choices for pot plants. They will flower very well until the heat sets in around May.
    In your small pots you can just bring them in the house when frost threatens.. Many other species can be grown as well but I find the best use as winter garden plants. Few of the small species remain evergreen IME.
    Gee you can buy starts at all the box stores for around a buck this time of year.
    If interested in evergreens in pots google the family dozens if not hundreds to choose from !!! gary

• Randy Ritchie
    14 years ago

I have some begonias in the landscape that do very well here. I give them no care whatsoever. One of them is such a rampant grower that I either need to re-site it, or just keep trimming it back...lol. But others, that I have in pots, aren't nearly as happy. It amazes me that these things can take near-drought conditions as well as torrential rains and don't seem to care.

girlsaylor

• gregsytch
    14 years ago

I grow all kinds in my West Pasco garden. If they freeze, they return. I use frost cloth to cover the plants in the landscape AND in my shadehouses. I do not grow in a greenhouse so during our dips I drape the frost cloth then clip to secure. They handled last year's freezes without a glitch. I grow hundreds and sell every summer at USF I teach so that is my free time) and there are so many to choose from, plus I've created hybrids over the years. I do fertilize 4-5x year beginning in late Feb. The larger leaved types, growing to 4-5ft wide, do best in the landscape. Greg in New Port Richey

• mocropot
    14 years ago

Hi gregsytch, I found this treat searching the net regarding care for some begonia I just got. I am your neighbor, I am in Tarpon Springs . I would like to hear your opinion if I can use as a landscape plants the following begonia: B. plum gorgeous, B. Nelumbiifolia, B. Joe Hayden? is it suitable for semi- sun area?

• mocropot
    14 years ago

I forgot to edit the subject line in my prior message

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz