Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southernlily_gw

Overwintering wax begonia - in the ground!

southernlily
14 years ago

Spring of 2008, I was visiting the garden dept. at Home Depot when the manager announced that shoppers could load a cart with flats of annuals and the whole cart load would only cost $1.00. Not a dollar per flat of 24, but one dollar for as many as you could fit in your cart!

This is how I ended up with 2 dozen white wax begonia. In the fall, I let the frost kill them off, then stomped the leaves down into the ground. Then I covered them with mulch to hide the mess.

would you believe that by May of 2009, begonia plants were peeking up through the dirt? I was redoing the front bed, so ripped many of them out and threw them away, and then moved 6 of the new little plants to the side of the house. They have been very beautiful all summer, snuggled up in front of the Beautyberry, rubbing elbows with a pink carpet rose. Of course I'm going to try this again to see if they will come up a second time.

Has anyone else in zone 7 had this experience? I thought to try this because I have had annual periwinkle (also labeled as vinca) also reappear. After letting the frost kill it back, stomp it into the ground and plants will come up the next June. They won't do this two years in a row for me.

Comments (2)