Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rica_ph

need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias

rica_ph
10 years ago

hi from the philippines!
i chanced upon this collection of begonias at a nursery last weekend and got a few begonias. i only have one other begonia at home but not of of them have names. unfortunately, the nurseries here aren't really diligent with naming what they sell. but i really want to know their names and hopefully that will also help with my research on how to properly care for and propagate them.
will post the specimens i bought in a bit.
it's a little bit challenging to get proper potting medium for them here since we don't have a very good garden center but our weather and humidity here seems to be a good fit for begonias.
thanks!!!

Comments (14)

• rica_ph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant #1
    - with white flowers
    - the biggest leaf is more like a dark pink and at certain angles, the surface seems iridescent.

• rica_ph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant #2

• rica_ph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant # 3

• rica_ph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant # 4

• rica_ph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant # 5

• rica_ph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant # 6
    This was my first begonia. it's growing back from overwatering. I'm guessing this is a cane variety? one of the stems with 1 leaf fell behind the old pot and grew on the ground. I'm planning to repot this one in a more shallow or smaller pot with better potting medium. This is just garden soil and it seems too heavy and slow draining.
    This had coral-colored flowers. I hope I'm able to revive this.

• paolocastillofuentes
    9 years ago

1, 2 & 3 are Begonia Rex cultivars, number 4 is "Begonia Muddy Waters" , number 5 not so sure , but I like it lol ( can I have some lol)
    number 6 , if it's flowers turn out to be red it is Begonia 'Thurstonii', but if its pink could be Begonia 'Tom Ment' or Begonia "Texas Tea Slipper" ...I'm not a botanist though, so I can't be entirely sure...I'm just a hobbyist from the Philippines who collect Begonias lol

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

#4 is not Muddy Waters; #5 is some cultivar of listada, very close to Magdalene Madsen; #6 is not Thurstonii nor Tom Ment - it is a common garden variety.

• mbright
    9 years ago

#4 looks like Muddy Waters to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: muddy waters

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

I have seen #4 before (may have had one at one time) but it is not Muddy Waters and I am at a loss for a name right now. M.W. has large leaves with some frills on the edges plus is more brown than black.

Here is a photo of my old Muddy Waters.

Also look at this one at Logee's (according to Logee's write up Susie's Curl is the spitting image of Muddy Waters)

Logee's Susie's Curl

This post was edited by hcmcdole on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 8:40

• mbright
    9 years ago

Well now, I've got a plant just like #4 labeled Muddy Waters. I've never seen another one. And I have a Susie's Curl that's way greener. Why we love begonias.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

The one I showed above was bought at Harmony Foliage with Mr. Begonia (last year's ABS president) telling me the names as I was labeling everything. What can I say? I just go with the flow...

That seems to be the problem with names in begonias (and everything else) - someone drops a tag and sticks it in another pot or you can't read someone's writing or everything is labeled rex begonia. If only someone would come out with a definitive book on (fill in the blanks here)

Check out the international database of begonias for Muddy Waters. Ignore the 3rd photo since it is the one I just posted above.

Begonia IDB of Muddy Waters

• lindabenph
    8 years ago

Hi! May I know where in Metro Manila I can get Begonias?

• hc mcdole
    8 years ago

Have you searched Planet Begonia on FB for Philippines begonia collectors? I'm sure there must be someone there that can yelp you.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz